Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Rogelio

Default watching Netflix on Debian

Has anyone here been able to view Netflix movies on Debian?* (It requires Internet Explorer, and I'm wondering what the workaround is for Firefox)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Rogelio wrote:

> Has anyone here been able to view Netflix movies on Debian? (It requires
> Internet Explorer, and I'm wondering what the workaround is for Firefox)

I have read somewhere online that you can't do this in Linux. The problem is
not on the Debian side (not even on the Linux side). It was to do with the
proprietary DRM authentication stuff which the movie studios impose on
netflix. It seems the DRM authentication (or some other authentication) is
possible only under Windows, Mac. That is why netflix requires you to have
Windows or Mac to watch their online videos.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Russ Cook

Ron Johnson wrote:

Or you could tilt at windmills and complain to Netflix, your
congressmen, the media, and anyone else who will smile
pleasantly, nod, and then ignore you. I hate DRM.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Joey Hess

Russ Cook wrote:
> Or you could tilt at windmills and complain to Netflix, your
> congressmen, the media, and anyone else who will smile
> pleasantly, nod, and then ignore you. I hate DRM.

Or you could crack the DRM. Which is, after all, the only way that all
us linux netflix subscribers are able to consume the DRMed media they ship
to us on plastic.

--
see shy jo

Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-05-03 21:14 +0200, Joey Hess wrote:

> Or you could crack the DRM.

Which, depending on your location, may be illegal even for private use
of material you legally bought. For instance, such is the situation in
the country where I chose to be born and to live.

> Which is, after all, the only way that all
> us linux netflix subscribers are able to consume the DRMed media they ship
> to us on plastic.

So far, I got away without such pursuing such media, but the situation
may get worse in the future, e.g. with Blue Ray Discs (witness the great
efforts that M$ put into DRM in Vista). :-/

Sven

Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Ron Johnson