Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
"Sergio Cuéllar Valdés"

Default security best practice

2008/5/2 ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com>:
> I'd like some advice from the admins. I'm a developer who admins my own
> environment in a home office. I get things done, but perhaps not in the
> best fashion.
>
> For instance, I just installed the tomcat server via the debian
> repositories. By default, all of the files go in under the root ownership
> and group. I want my developer users to be able to access all of the
> various tomcat files, from logs and conf stuff to startup scripts. What is
> the "right" way of granting this access to my users?

Hello,

you can create a user that owns all the tomcat dir. And also a group,
and put that users in that group. If you also run tomcat in the
default 8080 port, that user can also start/stop the server.

Best regards,
Sergio Cuellar

--
"Meine Hoffnung soll mich leiten
Durch die Tage ohne Dich

Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 AM
phobot

On May 2, 8:20 pm, ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like some advice from the admins. I'm a developer who admins my own
> environment in a home office. I get things done, but perhaps not in the
> best fashion.
>
> For instance, I just installed the tomcat server via the debian
> repositories. By default, all of the files go in under the root ownership
> and group. I want my developer users to be able to access all of the
> various tomcat files, from logs and conf stuff to startup scripts. What is
> the "right" way of granting this access to my users?

You can use sudo(btw gksu has a nice GUI). It's abit slow(typing the
password and stuf) but it works for using all root-owned files/
process.

Another way is to add your developer users in the root group and chmod
770 all the files.