Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Pigeon

Default growisofs not writing dual-layer DVDs on Philips PBDV1640P

Trying to write a dual-layer DVD on a Philips PBDV1640P
fails to start the second layer. It writes the first layer
fine and then fails with

:-[ WRITE@LBA=1fa500h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Google not only fails to find any helpful results, it
hardly finds any results at all. And with dual layer
blanks costing 2 quid each experimenting with this
is going to get very expensive.

-use-the-force-luke=dummy doesn't work, either. It
still writes to the DVD so I can't use that to
experiment.

Anyone know if I have any software options or do I
have to bite the bullet and buy a new DVD writer?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon's Nest - http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/
Lucy Pinder Television - http://www.lucy-pinder.tv/
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21C61F7F

Old 05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Pigeon

...cdrecord doesn't work either:

pigeon@pindix:~/lpntv/dvd/tmp/lpntv-15.01$ cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=1,0,0 dvd.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2007 J�g Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'PHILIPS '
Identifikation : 'PBDV1640P '
Revision : 'B3.4'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R/DL (current)
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+R driver (mmc_dvdplusr).
Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 688128 = 672 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 8099 MB
Total size: 8099 MB = 4147065 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Blocks total: 4173824 Blocks current: 4173824 Blocks remaining: 26759
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 2 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: 0 of 8099 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 72 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x72 Qual 0x01 (session fixation error writing lead-in) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 13.206s timeout 100s

write track data: error after 0 bytes
cdrecord: A write error occured.
cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing time: 18.241s
Average write speed 336.2x.
Fixating...
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 5B 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 1000s
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 5B 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 1000s
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 1000s
Trouble closing the last session
Fixating time: 0.008s
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Pigeon

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 06:27:02PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> ...cdrecord doesn't work either:
>
> pigeon@pindix:~/lpntv/dvd/tmp/lpntv-15.01$ cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=1,0,0 dvd.iso
<snip>
> Sense Code: 0x72 Qual 0x01 (session fixation error writing lead-in) Fru 0x0

...I have discovered that there is a firmware update for
the PBDV1640P to sort this particular error. Perhaps if
I apply that, I will then at least be able to use
cdrecord.

Only the manky swine have only published the updater as a
Windoze app :-(

So...

Has anyone tried running the Philips DVD drive firmware
updater under wine?

If it works, great. If it doesn't work... nothing is
any worse. But if it half works I'll probably end up
with a DVD writer that no longer writes any kind of
DVD. So I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried it
before I experiment!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Pigeon

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 10:39:52AM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
> > ...cdrecord doesn't work either:
> >
> Do you run X?
>
> If yes, for experiments sake try K3b?
>
> It's never failed to burn a DVD for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but k3b is simply a very friendly
graphical front end. Underneath, it's still using growisofs
to write the DVD, and therefore doesn't work. Brasero doesn't
work either for the same reason.