Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Replacing on-board sound

Frank McCormick wrote:

Because of all the problems I'm experiencing with my on-board sound
on an Intel 865GXB board, I'd like to install a separate sound card. Does
anyone have a suggestion or suggestions on the way to go. I hear good
things about Sound-Blaster products. Even cards that are a few years old
are OK as I am just trying to get recording to work on this machine.

Yes, I did that. I have the onboard:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

and I bought the Sound Blaster Audigy because I didn't trust the onboard
when I bought the mobo (EP-8VTAI):

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

alsaconf finds them both and then you adjust /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd_ca0106
options snd_ca0106 index=1

Then I adjust who gets what card by adjustong /etc/profile:

case "$DISPLAY" in
:0.*) export ALSA_CARD=0
export ALSA_CTL_CARD=0
export ALSA_PCM_CARD=0