Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
andy

Default So, what can Privoxy do for me?

Actually I don't know, never having used it. But I am considering it,
but need to figure out the following first.

My user machine is one of a small LAN behind a hardware dedicated
firewall running a DSL modem. If I were to install Privoxy on my user
machine inside the firewall, what would be the effect of doing so with
respect to (a) its trimming/junk busting functions? and (b) its masking
capabilities. I suspect that (a) would work just fine, but am unsure
about (b).

Any thoughts on this?

Andy

Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
David Brodbeck

Actually I don't know, never having used it. But I am considering
it, but need to figure out the following first.

My user machine is one of a small LAN behind a hardware dedicated
firewall running a DSL modem. If I were to install Privoxy on my
user machine inside the firewall, what would be the effect of doing
so with respect to (a) its trimming/junk busting functions? and (b)
its masking capabilities. I suspect that (a) would work just fine,
but am unsure about (b).

Any thoughts on this?

Privoxy will work fine behind NAT. It's working at the HTTP level;
it doesn't care about lower-level network stuff. It will block
tracking cookies and the like, but it won't do anything to hide your
IP address.

If you want to hide your IP, you should look into something like
Tor. It also works fine behind NAT as a client.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Rasky

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:01:24 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> [Privoxy] will block tracking cookies and the like, but it won't do
> anything to hide your IP address.

How does it improve on using browser plugins like Adblock and Noscript? I
realise it adds the architecture to use Tor and other remote proxy systems
but what does it add by itself?

--
Rasky

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
John Hasler

Andy writes:
> If I were to install Privoxy on my user machine inside the firewall, what
> would be the effect of doing so with respect to (a) its trimming/junk
> busting functions?

It arranges for me to see no advertising.

> ...and (b) its masking capabilities.

What are masking capabilities?
--
John Hasler

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:14:25 +0000 (UTC)
Rasky <raskylee@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:01:24 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
> > [Privoxy] will block tracking cookies and the like, but it won't do
> > anything to hide your IP address.
>
> How does it improve on using browser plugins like Adblock and Noscript? I
> realise it adds the architecture to use Tor and other remote proxy systems
> but what does it add by itself?

One advantage is that you can easily maintain one configuration for
multiple browsers / machines / users. Additionally, because it isn't a
plugin, there's no chance of it affecting the stability of FF / IW,
something plugins are notorious for doing. [I don't know about these in
particular; I use Noscript and have never had a problem with it, but
I've not used Adblock much.] In the same vein, plugins often need to
be updated when browsers are, and can get out of sync; privoxy is a
rock-solid solution, and it will work for *all* browsers, even (x)links.

> Rasky

Celejar

Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 AM
andy

Celejar wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments so far. Because I am a simple bear, let me see
if I am getting this right:

If I install Privoxy on my Deb machine behind a firewall, Privoxy will
trim out all of the junk that plugins currently do (e.g. noscript and
adbuster, etc.), as well as block cookies. It will not mask/block my IP
address however.

If I install TOR on my Deb machine, will that add a layer of
privacy/anonymity even though (again) I am behind a firewall with a DSL
modem which has a fixed IP address? I could install TOR on the firewall
(it is an OpenBSD set up), but was curious about what it can do inside
the firewall.

Thanks again for your comments. These are very helpful

Andy

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
David Brodbeck

If I install Privoxy on my Deb machine behind a firewall, Privoxy
will trim out all of the junk that plugins currently do (e.g.
noscript and adbuster, etc.), as well as block cookies. It will not
mask/block my IP address however.

Right.

If I install TOR on my Deb machine, will that add a layer of
privacy/anonymity even though (again) I am behind a firewall with a
DSL modem which has a fixed IP address?

Yup. That's exactly what it's for. It uses a technique called
"onion routing" to create an anonymous, encrypted channel. The
details are beyond the scope of this message but they're described
well on the project's website:

http://www.torproject.org/

I could install TOR on the firewall (it is an OpenBSD set up), but
was curious about what it can do inside the firewall.

If you run it inside the firewall, it will be able to make outgoing
connections but won't be able to accept incoming ones. Unless you
want to join the Tor network as a server, this is just fine.

Be forewarned that Tor's anonymity comes at the expense of speed.
Your requests are being routed through at least three other systems,
more or less randomly chosen around the world, so it can be pretty
sluggish.