Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX / kernel upgrade with etch stable?

Am 02.05.2008 um 11:01 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:

On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:

I was looking at the mini-ITX board "Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX"
<http://emea.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded
+motherboards/
miniitx+motherboards/986lcdmmitx.html>
and am wondering if anyone has used this for a Debian system. Are the
chipsets
supported, or do you recognise any that are not working well/at all?

* Intel 945GM Intel ICH7R Embedded Chipset consisting of:
+ Intel 82945G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
+ Intel ICH7R I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R)
+ 8 Mbit Firmware Hub (FWH)
* graphics: Intel GMA950 Controller with 2D/3D Graphics Engine
* ethernet: Realtek RTL8111B (with 3 ethernet connectors!)
* Winbond W83627THF LPC Bus I/O Controller
* Intel 82801G ICH7 USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
* Intel 82801G ICH7 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

The manual also says:
"OS support: Linux: Feodora Core 5, Suse 10.01 (limitations may
apply)"

and
"The SATA controller supports AHCI mode and has integrated RAID
functionality
with support for RAID modes 0, 1, 5 and 10 (Linux O/S only support
for RAID 0
and 1)."

I have this kind of motherboard inside a Hush B3.

It takes time at the beginning to work. Most of the part are working
except the network (RTL8111B).

The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to
have the

working r8169 kernel module.

Since network issue is solved, this motherboard is working great.

I don't have tested graphics and RAID.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Thanks a lot for this valuable info, I wouldn't have expected the
network

to be the biggest problem!

I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
mixing
stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
should be
avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
etch
stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
instead?

If anyone else has any tips or ideas for problems that might occur with
the chipsets, please let me know!

As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

Thanks again!
-Moritz

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Sylvain Le Gall

On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 02.05.2008 um 11:01 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:
>> On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
>> The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to
>> have the
>> working r8169 kernel module.
>>
>> Since network issue is solved, this motherboard is working great.
>>
>> I don't have tested graphics and RAID.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sylvain Le Gall
>
> I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
> mixing
> stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
> should be
> avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
> etch
> stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
> instead?

You have 2 solutions:
- use r1000 (a driver from realtek for this card) with kernel 2.6.18 in
etch
- just recompile a newer kernel or use one from backports.org
(http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/linux-image-2.6-686), which
is version 2.6.22

In the two cases, you doesn't need to mix unstable/stable.

I think going to lenny just for the kernel is not a good idea.

> As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
> RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

This is possible and far more better than using fake intel RAID...
Performance will be equal and you will have something working better.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 PM

The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to
have the
working r8169 kernel module.

I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
mixing
stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
should be
avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
etch
stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
instead?

You have 2 solutions:
- use r1000 (a driver from realtek for this card) with kernel
2.6.18 in

etch

For anyone else looking for this (Realtek's website is a bit
disorganised

and searching for the driver on it took me a while), here's the link:

<http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?
Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID= 3&GetDown=false>

- just recompile a newer kernel or use one from backports.org
(http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/linux-image-2.6-686), which
is version 2.6.22

OK, good, thanks for clarifying.

In the two cases, you doesn't need to mix unstable/stable.

I think going to lenny just for the kernel is not a good idea.

Yes, that's what I thought, too!

As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use
'hardware'

RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

This is possible and far more better than using fake intel RAID...
Performance will be equal and you will have something working better.

Great, thanks again for backing up my thoughts and choice against fake
hardware RAID!

Now I'm researching which case to get. Ideally I want a tiny one but
which allows two or more 2,5" HDDs in it. (Perhaps I later also want to
install a TV (DVB-T) card in it, too.) So far I haven't found a good
one.

-Moritz

Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Sylvain Le Gall

On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 02.05.2008 um 14:09 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:
>>>
>>> I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
>>> mixing
>>> stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
>>> should be
>>> avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
>>> etch
>>> stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
>>> instead?
>>
>> You have 2 solutions:
>> - use r1000 (a driver from realtek for this card) with kernel
>> 2.6.18 in
>> etch
>
> For anyone else looking for this (Realtek's website is a bit
> disorganised
> and searching for the driver on it took me a while), here's the link:
>
><http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?
> Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID= 3&GetDown=false>

Errm... No this one doesn't work (well) because of misaligned data
structure. You will have a lot of packet miss after several hours of
uptime.

Better use:
http://fr.kontron.com/_etc/scripts/download/getdownload.php?downloadId=NTYyMQ==
which is a corrected version of the link above.

> Now I'm researching which case to get. Ideally I want a tiny one but
> which allows two or more 2,5" HDDs in it. (Perhaps I later also want to
> install a TV (DVB-T) card in it, too.) So far I haven't found a good
> one.

http://www.serener.com/ (preferred)
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.87/.f

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Michelle Konzack

Hallo Moritz,

Am 2008-05-02 13:50:30, schrieb hh.eu@gmx.de:
> I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
> mixing
> stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
> should be
> avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
> etch
> stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
> instead?

I suggest you to ONLY compile your own 2.6.25 Kernel with all needed
modules included which will give you a perfect Kernel without initrd and
dependence hell... (initrd-tools and such from Etch are not compatibel
with the stuff from Kernel 2.6.25)

> As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
> RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

Yes. And of course, even if the mainboard would support Hardware
Raid-1/2 I will never trust them... For such things I would use a 3Ware
where I can be sure, I get a compatibel one if something goeas wrong.

Note: I am using a VIA EPIA LN10000EAG with 1 GByte memory and a
4 GByte "SanDisk Extreme IV" and I am very happy with it.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi