Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Default Googleearth 4.3(beta) on Lenny?

Hi,
Has anyone succeeded in getting the latest version of Googleearth 4.3(beta)
to run on Lenny? Version 4.2 runs with no problems but 4.3 gives me
unreadable fonts and won't log into the server. Are there extra
installation steps that must be taken besides running the .bin file?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Jonathan Kaye

David Fox wrote:

>I never liked the fonts in 4.2 - they are too small, and 4.3 isn't an
>improvement there.

>I ran the update inside google earth and it crashed. Then I was
>presented with a new iceweasel page pointing to the updata and I
>downloaded and ran the bin file. Starting the app from the installer
>worked, I got it to connect, and found that Sky mode actually worked
>(before it would always crash the app) although I didn't run it very
>much, so I closed the app.

>As soon as I restarted, I can't make it do anything. Doesn't even
>bring up the eath image, although I can see that it's using a socket
>according to 'netstat -a'.

>I cleaned out my .googleearth directory, and tried it again, but still
>it doesn't work.
>David Fox
Hi David,
Except for the fonts, which for me were ok in 4.2 but not 4.3b, our
experiences are identical. No earth, no connection no nothing in 4.3.
Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 AM
"David Fox"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi David,
> Except for the fonts, which for me were ok in 4.2 but not 4.3b, our
> experiences are identical. No earth, no connection no nothing in 4.3.

Oddly enough, I reran it with 'sudo' after I got home from work, and
it does work that way all right. But it is strange there is no network
connection when run as an ordinary user. I had to run the install as
root to get write permission to where it lives
(/usr/local/google-earth).

The extra features are worth it though - traffic, street view, weather
and other stuff has been integrated. Plus, sky view works now - before
it would crash every time I tried to switch between ground and sky.