-   -   Passing in sid (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/796-passing-sid.html)

Shams Fantar 11-19-2007 07:44 PM

Passing in sid

Hi !

I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the
sources.list file, all updates were been done.

But now, I've some problems.

* Firstly, I've problems with my locales, for example :

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),

Even after tried the dpkg-reconfigure locales command, the problem
persists, but, I can't install the 'locales' package :

# aptitude install locales
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
locales
The following packages have been automatically kept back:
dcc-common
mysql-server-5.0
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 11.5MB will be used.
locales: Depends: glibc-2.7-1 which is a virtual package.
Resolving dependencies...
Unable to resolve dependencies! Giving up...
Abort.

* Secondly, as you can see it above, there is a problem with the
'mysql-server-5.0' package, look
http://sfantar.linux62.org/mysql_problem, I tried the different
solutions (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%23368547 ;
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=17733) but there's no modification and
see http://sfantar.linux62.org/mysql-mmm

Unfortunately, I've no solution for these problems, and I didn't find
topics about.

Thanks !

--
Shams Fantar (Website : http://snurf.info)

Andrei Popescu 11-19-2007 08:40 PM

Passing in sid

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:44:17PM +0100, Shams Fantar wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the sources.list
> file, all updates were been done.
>
> But now, I've some problems.

[snip locales problems]

Welcome to sid, these are just typical troubles which you can expect
anytime. I'm not sure what the "correct" solution would have been in
this case, but I just installed locales from experimental (which also
pulled libc from experimental), but I don't mind living on the edge ;)

> Unfortunately, I've no solution for these problems, and I didn't find
> topics about.

Sid users should generally be able to fix their own systems. (It's not
100% fair of me to say this because I fixed my first sid troubles also
with the help of this list). Sorry, I can't help with mysql, though I
recall long ago the 'stop' action would work if the server was *not*
running.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Andrei Popescu 11-19-2007 09:08 PM

Passing in sid

---------------------------------------- not
> running.

Sorry, typo
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-19-2007 09:35 PM

Passing in sid

Shams Fantar wrote:

Hi !

I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the
sources.list file, all updates were been done.

But now, I've some problems.

* Firstly, I've problems with my locales, for example :

<snip>

* Secondly, as you can see it above, there is a problem with the
'mysql-server-5.0' package, look

<snip>

But what's the reason the package has been held back?

Hugo

Shams Fantar 11-20-2007 02:30 PM

Passing in sid

Andrei Popescu wrote:

I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the sources.list
file, all updates were been done.

But now, I've some problems.

[snip locales problems]

Welcome to sid, these are just typical troubles which you can expect
anytime. I'm not sure what the "correct" solution would have been in
this case, but I just installed locales from experimental (which also
pulled libc from experimental), but I don't mind living on the edge ;)

Is it a bug for the 'locales' package ? Because I wonder if install a
package from experimental is a solution. What do you think about ? But I
tried :

# dpkg -i locales_2.7-0exp8_all.deb
(Reading database ... 56391 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace locales 2.7-0exp8 (using locales_2.7-0exp8_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement locales ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of locales:
locales depends on glibc-2.7-1; however:
Package glibc-2.7-1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing locales (--install):
locales

Of course, the glibc-2.7.1 is required, it's a virtual package, what to do ?

Unfortunately, I've no solution for these problems, and I didn't find
topics about.

Sid users should generally be able to fix their own systems. (It's not
100% fair of me to say this because I fixed my first sid troubles also
with the help of this list).

Yeah, I know, but I tried many solutions for these problems, but none
has resolved the problems.

Sorry, I can't help with mysql, though I
recall long ago the 'stop' action would work if the server was *not*
running.

Resolved, to resolve the problem, I did, in a MySQL prompt :

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED
BY '<debian-sys-maint-password>' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Regards,
Andrei

For information :

# uname -r
2.6.22.9-snurf

Shams Fantar (Website : http://snurf.info)

Shams Fantar 11-20-2007 02:31 PM

Passing in sid

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Shams Fantar wrote:

Hi !

I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the
sources.list file, all updates were been done.

But now, I've some problems.

* Firstly, I've problems with my locales, for example :

<snip>

* Secondly, as you can see it above, there is a problem with the
'mysql-server-5.0' package, look

<snip>

But what's the reason the package has been held back?

Thank you for your help, read my first answer to topic, the MySQL
problem resolved.

Hugo

Cheers,

--
Shams Fantar (Website : http://snurf.info)

Andrei Popescu 11-20-2007 04:36 PM

Passing in sid

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 04:30:12PM +0100, Shams Fantar wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:44:17PM +0100, Shams Fantar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I try to pass a machine from etch to sid, so, I've changed the
>>> sources.list file, all updates were been done.
>>>
>>> But now, I've some problems.
>>>

>> [snip locales problems]
>>
>> Welcome to sid, these are just typical troubles which you can expect
>> anytime. I'm not sure what the "correct" solution would have been in this
>> case, but I just installed locales from experimental (which also pulled
>> libc from experimental), but I don't mind living on the edge ;)
>>

> Is it a bug for the 'locales' package ? Because I wonder if install a
> package from experimental is a solution. What do you think about ? But I
> tried :
>
> # dpkg -i locales_2.7-0exp8_all.deb
> (Reading database ... 56391 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace locales 2.7-0exp8 (using locales_2.7-0exp8_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement locales ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of locales:
> locales depends on glibc-2.7-1; however:
> Package glibc-2.7-1 is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing locales (--install):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> locales
>
> Of course, the glibc-2.7.1 is required, it's a virtual package, what to do ?

You shouldn't install packages with dpkg directly. Instead add a source
for experimental in your sources.list and use

aptitude -t experimental install locales

That is, if you want to try my solution. There is always more than one
way ...

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

[...]