Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Phillip Costantinou

Default Debian=Linux Workstation printing to printer on a WIndows XP workstation

This is my first post, yes, I'm a newbie, so your patience & understanding is appreciated
As the subject says, I'm trying to print from my new Debian workstation to a printer on a Windows XP workstation connected via my home (Ethernet) network, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.
I'm configuring the printer via CUPS 1.2.7 web interface (http://localhost:641).
I went to LinuxPrinting,org and downloaded the driver for my HP Deskjet F4100.
When adding the printer in CUPS, I say "Windows Printer via SAMBA" for the device,
for the device URL I enter "smb://HOST@guest:/HPDJF4100",
rather than pick the manufacturer and model I provide the PPD file "HP-DeskJet_F4100-hpijs.ppd",
It says it is successful added.
When I try to print a test page, the printer blinks but never prints anything.
I checked the print job on the WIndowsXP computer and it says it is a Data Type RAW.
When I submit a print job locally on the WIndowsXP computer it has a Data Type NT EMF 1.008.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE MY LINUX BOX SEND THE FILES TO THE WINDOWS BOX IN THE CORRECT FORMAT OR HAVE THE WINDOWS BOX RECEIVE AND PROCESS IT CORRECTLY?

I'm sure others have had this problem, so help is appreciated and probably needed by others.

Thanks,
-Phil