Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default Kernel panic when rebooting etch AMD64

About two out of three times I get a kernel panic when booting etch on my
AMD64 system. It started a few days ago when I upgraded from kernel
2.6.18-3-amd64. The rest of the time it comes up normally.

hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
Linux april 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 17:50:19 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hendrik@april:~$

The messages near the bottom of the screen on kernel panic are (copied
by hand via a piece of paper):

Code: 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d4 fe ff ff f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d3 fe
Console shuts up...
<07Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler

I have nvidia graphics on the motherboard, using the free nv drivers.

Any ideas? What information would be useful?

-- hendrik

P.S.
Existing possibly unrelated known problems. These problems existed before
the kernel upgrade, and are still there after.

* After X comes up, cntl-alt-F1 does not switch me to a text console.
* If I
stay logged in overnight, my window manager has often died by the next
day.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
michael

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:10 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> About two out of three times I get a kernel panic when booting etch on my
> AMD64 system. It started a few days ago when I upgraded from kernel
> 2.6.18-3-amd64. The rest of the time it comes up normally.
>
> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
> Linux april 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 17:50:19 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> hendrik@april:~$
>
> The messages near the bottom of the screen on kernel panic are (copied
> by hand via a piece of paper):
>
> Code: 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d4 fe ff ff f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d3 fe
> Console shuts up...
> <07Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>
> I have nvidia graphics on the motherboard, using the free nv drivers.
>
> Any ideas? What information would be useful?

At what point does good appear? What appears before? Is there
a /var/log/boot* file with this info in?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:04:45 +0100, michael wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:10 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> About two out of three times I get a kernel panic when booting etch on
>> my AMD64 system. It started a few days ago when I upgraded from kernel
>> 2.6.18-3-amd64. The rest of the time it comes up normally.
>>
>> hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
>> Linux april 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 17:50:19 UTC 2008 x86_64
>> GNU/Linux hendrik@april:~$
>>
>> The messages near the bottom of the screen on kernel panic are (copied
>> by hand via a piece of paper):
>>
>> Code: 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d4 fe ff ff f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 e9 d3 fe
>> Console shuts up...
>> <07Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>>
>> I have nvidia graphics on the motherboard, using the free nv drivers.
>>
>> Any ideas? What information would be useful?
>
> At what point does good appear? What appears before? Is there a
> /var/log/boot* file with this info in?

It was pretty quick. I suspect it happened before it really got around
to mounting file systems, but I'm not sure. There was an extensive
backtrace before the kernel panic, but all I get to see is the tail end;
the rest is off the screen, and after shutting down interrupts, trying to
scroll back doesn't work. Is it worth copying the tail end of the
backtrace from the screen?

april:/farhome/hendrik# ls /var/log/boot*
/var/log/boot
april:/farhome/hendrik# cat /var/log/boot*
(Nothing has been logged yet.)
april:/farhome/hendrik#

The problem is intermittent. On a successful boot, does the /var/log/
boot get overwritten? If so, should I try a live CD to get to look at
it? Or does it get appended to or rolled over?

oooh! What happens if the / partition is full? Can that cause a kernel
panic? It happened recently, but as far as I can tell by memory, it
became full only after a successful boot, and I have since deleted a lot
of space. / contains /ver, /tmp, and all of the usual top-level
filesystems except for /usr and /farhome, which are on LVM RAID
partitions. / is a reiserfs. /farhome contains most user files. /home
is small, and is part of /.

-- hendrik