Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 AM
"A. F. Cano"

Default How do I get the tar.gz file out of a TPB.torrent file?

Hi,

Obviously I've never dealt with bittorrent before. I've read quite a
bit on the web about how it works, the software to install, etc...
But nowhere have I found how to unpack the contents of the TPB.torrent
file so I can use it. Many sites claim a torrent file is a RAR archive,
but unrar claims it is not. "file" claims it's a torrent file, so it
identivies is correctly, and "btshowmetainfo" displays what's in there
(a tar.gz file) but nowhere have I found an "untorrent" or "torrent -x"
or equivalent.

Man -k torrent doesn't give anything that seems usable. Searching with
aptitude (/torrent) only reveals various clients. They all get the
torrent files to your computer, but what to do from there? HELP!

Any hints will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

A.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Jose Luis Rivas Contreras

Old 04-27-2008, 04:02 AM
"A. F. Cano"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:35:08PM -0430, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
> > But nowhere have I found how to unpack the contents of the TPB.torrent
> > file so I can use it. Many sites claim a torrent file is a RAR archive,
> Run something like this:
> rtorrent TPB.torrent

Thanks for replying. I don't have rtorrent installed, but by looking
at aptitude, I see that it is just another client, and I already have
one installed. I have bittorrent and bittorrent-gui, which, like
the many FAQ files I've read is a client that downloads the files.

> Then this will start downloading all the files and letting it in some
> place where you ran the `rtorrent' command. The torrent file is

Actually this has already been done. I downloaded the file and it is
sitting in the directory where I told the browser/bittorrent to put it.
I'm talking here about the TPB.torrent file. See below for the source
of the confusion.

> something like the specification of where needs to connect and what
> needs to download.

Aha! seeing the output of btshowmetainfo (which had the name of a tar.gz
file), I assumed that the torrent file was some sort of archive that
contained it. I just did an ls -l and of course it's not big enough to
contain a tar.gz file that took this long to download. So I went
looking for it and there it was, in my home directory! This was
confusing as I told the browser/bittorrent to save it in /var/tmp, which
is where the TPB.torrent file ended up. Why did the tar.gz file end up
not in the directory I specified? I don't know. But now that I've found
it, I know to look for the files where I didn't tell the
browser/bittorrent to put them.

Thanks for replying. That was the tip I needed to figure it out.

A.