Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Mike Bird

Default Triggers Pending

With today's 1.14.18 dpkg update in Testing, my initramfs-tools
status has changed from "ii" to "it", meaning that I want the
package installed and triggers are pending. FWIW, the system
attained this state without dpkg ever being invoked with an
explicit trigger-related command-line option. initramfs-tools
was updated about six days before the latest dpkg and the "ii"
only changed to "it" when dpkg was updated.

According to "man dpkg", "triggers-pending" means "The package
has been triggered", which sounds to me like the exact opposite
of triggers pending.

Do I need to run "dpkg --configure --pending", and if so how
often?

--Mike Bird

Please respect reply-to debian-user as I'm not subscribed to
debian-dpkg.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> With today's 1.14.18 dpkg update in Testing, my initramfs-tools
> status has changed from "ii" to "it", meaning that I want the
> package installed and triggers are pending. FWIW, the system
> attained this state without dpkg ever being invoked with an
> explicit trigger-related command-line option. initramfs-tools
> was updated about six days before the latest dpkg and the "ii"
> only changed to "it" when dpkg was updated.

I'm seeing the same thing.

Kurt

Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Kurt Roeckx

Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 AM
"Patrick Wiseman"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> > With today's 1.14.18 dpkg update in Testing, my initramfs-tools
> > status has changed from "ii" to "it", meaning that I want the
> > package installed and triggers are pending. FWIW, the system
> > attained this state without dpkg ever being invoked with an
> > explicit trigger-related command-line option. initramfs-tools
> > was updated about six days before the latest dpkg and the "ii"
> > only changed to "it" when dpkg was updated.
>
> I'm seeing the same thing.

I was seeing the same thing until I installed something else and the
initramfs issue was dealt with at the same time.

Patrick

Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 AM
"Patrick Wiseman"

Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-04-27 01:34 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
>> With today's 1.14.18 dpkg update in Testing, my initramfs-tools
>> status has changed from "ii" to "it", meaning that I want the
>> package installed and triggers are pending. FWIW, the system
>> attained this state without dpkg ever being invoked with an
>> explicit trigger-related command-line option. initramfs-tools
>> was updated about six days before the latest dpkg and the "ii"
>> only changed to "it" when dpkg was updated.
>
> I'm seeing the same thing.

This is because initramfs-tools already uses triggers, see #447611.
I'm not convinced that it is a very good idea to do this in Lenny
packages, since the Etch versions of apt and aptitude lack support for
the new trigger states. While dpkg 1.14.18 conflicts with these
versions, a dist-upgrade from Etch to Lenny will still be done by the
old versions.

Sven

Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Sven Joachim

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 09:40:19AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-04-27 01:34 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> >> With today's 1.14.18 dpkg update in Testing, my initramfs-tools
> >> status has changed from "ii" to "it", meaning that I want the
> >> package installed and triggers are pending. FWIW, the system
> >> attained this state without dpkg ever being invoked with an
> >> explicit trigger-related command-line option. initramfs-tools
> >> was updated about six days before the latest dpkg and the "ii"
> >> only changed to "it" when dpkg was updated.
> >
> > I'm seeing the same thing.
>
> This is because initramfs-tools already uses triggers, see #447611.
> I'm not convinced that it is a very good idea to do this in Lenny
> packages, since the Etch versions of apt and aptitude lack support for
> the new trigger states. While dpkg 1.14.18 conflicts with these
> versions, a dist-upgrade from Etch to Lenny will still be done by the
> old versions.

I remember from previous release notes that one step before upgrading
the entire system was to upgrade aptitude. Probably similar shall be
done now.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)