-   -   Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/768-debian-etch-olpc-laptop.html)

Amit Uttamchandani 11-19-2007 07:10 PM

Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop

Hey guys,

The OLPC laptop can now be purchased in the U.S. and Canada for $399 (you are actually buying two laptops and one goes to a child in a developing country). Anyways I was considering this but I am not a big fan of the Sugar interface.

I wanted to simply remove everything, install debian etch and then run a lightweight window manager like Enlightenment DR17 or DWM.

I understand that OLPC does not have a CDROM drive but I am sure Debian can be installed in other ways.

Next, will Debian Etch detect the hardware right away? It looks like the OLPC has quite a few custom components built in.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Amit

Kevin Mark 11-19-2007 11:17 PM

Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:10:45PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> The OLPC laptop can now be purchased in the U.S. and Canada for $399 (you are actually buying two laptops and one goes to a child in a developing country). Anyways I was considering this but I am not a big fan of the Sugar interface.
>
> I wanted to simply remove everything, install debian etch and then run a lightweight window manager like Enlightenment DR17 or DWM.
>
> I understand that OLPC does not have a CDROM drive but I am sure Debian can be installed in other ways.
>
> Next, will Debian Etch detect the hardware right away? It looks like the OLPC has quite a few custom components built in.
>

> What are your thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Amit
Maybe consider buying the EeePc laptop and make a donation to the XO
fund? This way you get a more standard laptop that supports linux and
help the XO fund?
But I'm sure someone will work on XO/Linux, so maybe ask on an XO list?
-K
ps. I'm testing Sugar on my Ubuntu PC, it runs in a second Xephr window
(:1 display).
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Amit Uttamchandani 11-20-2007 07:38 AM

Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop

> Maybe consider buying the EeePc laptop and make a donation to the XO
> fund? This way you get a more standard laptop that supports linux and
> help the XO fund?
> But I'm sure someone will work on XO/Linux, so maybe ask on an XO list?
> -K
> ps. I'm testing Sugar on my Ubuntu PC, it runs in a second Xephr window
> (:1 display).

thanks for the response.

Yeah i did consider the asus eepc. It seems more of a proper machine. The reason i wanted to XO laptop was because of its novelty. They use the open source Linux BIOS, its hardened, and a lot of other nifty features.

Yeah I guess I will try posting on the XO mailing list.

amit