Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Mark Allums

Default How about LVM? (Mildly OT RAID question)

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable enough to use for
a backup repository?

I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for backup but
administering the assignment of data to drives would be a headache. I
am thinking that LVM might solve that by letting me make one big
dataspace.

Comments?

Thanks for all the help, no matter what I ask!

TIA!
Dennis

Quite stable. The only problem is this: the more drives you use, the
greater the point of failure is. If you use 5 HDs for an LVM, you have
5 points of failure in which you will loose all your data. HTOH, if you
run a raid (1 or 5) you have built in redundancy of one failure allowed
before data is lost.

What does this mean to you? I would run a raid (not raid0) and run lvm
on top of that (assuming you have enough HDs). RAID1 will give you N/2
where N is size of the drive.
RAID5 will give you N+N+N.....-N for disk size (you loose one disk worth
of storage in raid5).

HTH

Speaking of RAID, how is the support for the "new" RAID6 mode?

(RAID6: A large stripe+parity array like RAID5, with the ability to
lose 2 drives at the same time, slightly better when accidents happen,
like the time you are hot-swapping one drive in a homegrown box, and you
manage to knock loose the SATA data cable on another drive while
removing the first one.)

--
Mark Allums