Old 04-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Disabling Iceweasel plugins

Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Nicolas George

L'octidi 8 floréal, an CCXVI, Brad Rogers a écrit*:
> Why not do it t'other way around? That is, let dpkg install all the
> plugins and what not in the default location, but call your unsullied
> Iceweasel with $MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH. From a script in ~/bin, for example.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have no objection on the principle of this
solution. In fact I tried it already, and it does not work: $MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
adds to the plugins search path, it does not replace the built-in one. Even
with MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/dev/null or /tmp/empty, Iceweasel finds the plugins
linked in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/.

Nicolas George

Old 04-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Nicolas George

L'octidi 8 floréal, an CCXVI, Ron Johnson a écrit*:
> iceweasel -safe-mode

Thanks for this indication, I did not know this option.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to work for my problem: this option disable
add-ons, but not plugins. I want to disable plugins, not add-ons.

Nevertheless, I keep it mind it exists, because it may be useful in other
situations.

Nicolas George

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:48:58 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george@normalesup.org> wrote:

Hello Nicolas,

> Thanks for your suggestion. I have no objection on the principle of
> this solution. In fact I tried it already, and it does not work:
> $MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH adds to the plugins search path, it does not replace

Ah, no good, then. TBH, I hadn't tried it, so wasn't aware of this
issue. I notice too, that you say Ron's suggestion doesn't work.

This prompted me to look at a couple of things. It seems that you can
create profiles for Iceweasel by calling it with the -ProfileManager
option. If you create a profile without plugins, or whatever, you can
then call Iceweasel with the -p <profilename> option. Should work from
a script in ~/bin.

Same caveat as before; I've not actually tried using different
profiles, so don't know what you can actually (dis|en)able that way.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

It belongs to them, let's give it back
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Nicolas George

Hi.

L'octidi 8 floréal, an CCXVI, Brad Rogers a écrit*:
> This prompted me to look at a couple of things. It seems that you can
> create profiles for Iceweasel by calling it with the -ProfileManager
> option. If you create a profile without plugins, or whatever, you can
> then call Iceweasel with the -p <profilename> option. Should work from
> a script in ~/bin.

It's -P, actually, not -p. Using several profiles works perfectly. This is
how I can run several instances of Iceweasel at the same time (the default
one without plugins, one with plugins), because it is not possible tu run
the same profile in several instances at the same time.

But plugins are completely unrelated to profiles. Plugins are searched in a
few directories at startup, including /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/,
~/.mozilla/plugins/ and $MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH. To be able to enable or disable
them at will, I put them in ~/.mozilla/plugins-burk, and I set
$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH to that path if I want to.

The problem is that if a file is present in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/, as
far as I know, it _will_ be loaded as a plugin.

I tried another method: I tried to divert the plugins directory,
unfortunately:

sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins-available
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
dpkg-divert: Cannot divert directories

I could divert all files in the directory, but that would not be robust.

Maybe I should submit a feature-wish bug to the Iceweasel package and/or the
plugin packages.

Nicolas George