Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Delay when typing in konsole (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/76658-delay-when-typing-konsole.html)

Ron Johnson 04-26-2008 03:47 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 04/26/08 10:25, Wesley Mesquita wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am getting a huge dalay when typing in konsole, but all other
> applications are normal (including xterm, for instance).
> I have noticed from friends that they have the same problem in ubuntu
> with the same hardware (Dell Vostro 1000 serie).
> This is a common problem? Should I report it as a bug?

konsole and gnome-terminal are fat, bloated *pigs*. I stopped using
(since I use GNOME) gnome-terminal years ago, and now only use rxvt.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIE054S9HxQb37XmcRAh8OAKCWhx1YVpT7aJ11W0zGn2 nXphukxACgtmq9
JWqM+RfYjvn3gSoCmoKAhIs=
=oMUi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Wesley Mesquita" 04-26-2008 04:46 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
> On 04/26/08 10:25, Wesley Mesquita wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am getting a huge dalay when typing in konsole, but all other
> > applications are normal (including xterm, for instance).
> > I have noticed from friends that they have the same problem in ubuntu
> > with the same hardware (Dell Vostro 1000 serie).
> > This is a common problem? Should I report it as a bug?
>
> konsole and gnome-terminal are fat, bloated *pigs*. I stopped using
> (since I use GNOME) gnome-terminal years ago, and now only use rxvt.
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> We want... a Shrubbery!!
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFIE054S9HxQb37XmcRAh8OAKCWhx1YVpT7aJ11W0zGn2 nXphukxACgtmq9
> JWqM+RfYjvn3gSoCmoKAhIs=
> =oMUi
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Wesley Mesquita
LIS/IC - UNICAMP
[skype: wesley.mesquita]


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Graham 04-26-2008 05:26 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:46:43 -0300
"Wesley Mesquita" <wesleymesquita@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
> mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.

You could always install screen and use that for multiple
virtual terminals within one terminal session
(http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen). It's always a handy program
to have installed.

As for using an xterm with tabs, I'm using the Xfce Terminal, which can
do tabs and is fairly lightweight (certainly not the lightest). Mind
you, whether you want to install Xfce to get it, is another issue. ;)

Mrxvt can do tabs, but I've only briefly had a go on that some time
ago (just before I installed Xfce for the first time), so can't really
say much more about it. However, you can find more info about it here:
http://materm.sourceforge.net/wiki/


Graham


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Mumia W.." 04-26-2008 05:37 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
On 04/26/2008 11:46 AM, Wesley Mesquita wrote:

So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.



I use rxvt and the "screen" utility. Although "screen" doesn't have the
multi-tab feature, it creates multiple virtual screens within a single
rxvt session. I highly recommend screen.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Wesley Mesquita" 04-26-2008 05:55 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Graham <doubleyou@loftmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:46:43 -0300
> "Wesley Mesquita" <wesleymesquita@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
> > mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.
>
> You could always install screen and use that for multiple
> virtual terminals within one terminal session
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen). It's always a handy program
> to have installed.

Excelent tip, I am using it now (much better then tabs!)
Thanks.

> As for using an xterm with tabs, I'm using the Xfce Terminal, which can
> do tabs and is fairly lightweight (certainly not the lightest). Mind
> you, whether you want to install Xfce to get it, is another issue. ;)
>
> Mrxvt can do tabs, but I've only briefly had a go on that some time
> ago (just before I installed Xfce for the first time), so can't really
> say much more about it. However, you can find more info about it here:
> http://materm.sourceforge.net/wiki/
>
>
> Graham
>
>
> --
>
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Wesley Mesquita
LIS/IC - UNICAMP
[skype: wesley.mesquita]


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Wesley Mesquita" 04-26-2008 06:28 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
I didn´t now that was possible to do it in terminal.... I used to
program in emacs and it is very similar, better than tabs.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Mumia W..
<paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 04/26/2008 11:46 AM, Wesley Mesquita wrote:
>
> > So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
> > mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.
> >
> >
>
> I use rxvt and the "screen" utility. Although "screen" doesn't have the
> multi-tab feature, it creates multiple virtual screens within a single rxvt
> session. I highly recommend screen.
>
>
> --
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Wesley Mesquita
LIS/IC - UNICAMP
[skype: wesley.mesquita]


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Cláudio E. Elicker" 04-26-2008 06:43 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
On Saturday 26 April 2008, Wesley Mesquita wrote:
> So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
> mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.
>

mrxvt
powershell


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Kevin Mark 04-26-2008 07:29 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:37:25PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 04/26/2008 11:46 AM, Wesley Mesquita wrote:
>> So, is there any of these "light weith" terminals that support
>> mult-tab? I just use konsole because this.
>>
>
> I use rxvt and the "screen" utility. Although "screen" doesn't have the
> multi-tab feature, it creates multiple virtual screens within a single
> rxvt session. I highly recommend screen.
>
One of the additional benefits of screen:
if you close/kill an xterm, the application is terminated
if you close/kill an xterm with screen running, nothing is lost
(you just reattach the screen session and all is well!)
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|
| `. `' Operating System | go to counter.li.org and |
| `- http://www.debian.org/ | be counted! #238656 |
| my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net | my NPO: cfsg.org |
|join the new debian-community.org to help Debian! |
|_______ Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi 04-29-2008 02:49 AM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
Wesley Mesquita wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am getting a huge dalay when typing in konsole, but all other
> applications are normal (including xterm, for instance).
> I have noticed from friends that they have the same problem in ubuntu
> with the same hardware (Dell Vostro 1000 serie).
> This is a common problem? Should I report it as a bug?
>

What version of konsole? Are all packages related to KDE up to date on your
system? Do you have any errors/warnings when start X from console using the
startx command?

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Wesley Mesquita" 04-29-2008 12:16 PM

Delay when typing in konsole
 
Hi Kamaraju,


On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Wesley Mesquita wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I am getting a huge dalay when typing in konsole, but all other
> > applications are normal (including xterm, for instance).
> > I have noticed from friends that they have the same problem in ubuntu
> > with the same hardware (Dell Vostro 1000 serie).
> > This is a common problem? Should I report it as a bug?
> >
>
> What version of konsole?
I am using the version that came wth etch (4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6etch2).

>Are all packages related to KDE up to date on your
> system?
No, I have to run apt-get upgrade solve this. It is a fresh install.

>Do you have any errors/warnings when start X from console using the
> startx command?
No.

> raju
> --
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/
>
>
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Wesley Mesquita
LIS/IC - UNICAMP
[skype: wesley.mesquita]


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.