-   -   Phone lines network (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/76656-phone-lines-network.html)

Jabka Atu 04-26-2008 03:31 PM

Phone lines network

Hello ..

Since in isreal most of the people connected to one compony (Bezeq) is
it posible to use thous lines as LAN? .
I understent that it will be really slow , but still is it even posible ?

I found few old modems at home (33600 ) and think that they can be used.

Thank you in advance.

04-26-2008 05:36 PM

Phone lines network

> Hello ..
>
> Since in isreal most of the people connected to one compony (Bezeq) is
> it posible to use thous lines as LAN? .
> I understent that it will be really slow , but still is it even posible ?
>
> I found few old modems at home (33600 ) and think that they can be used.
>
> Thank you in advance.

> In virtually all cases the subscriber line to your home is terminated at
the phone company in a piece of dedicated equipment (e.g. a switch). As
such the lines can't be connected as a LAN unless the phone company does
it.
Larry

Jabka Atu 04-26-2008 05:59 PM

Phone lines network

owens@peak.org wrote:

>> Hello ..
>>
>> Since in isreal most of the people connected to one compony (Bezeq) is
>> it posible to use thous lines as LAN? .
>> I understent that it will be really slow , but still is it even posible ?
>>
>> I found few old modems at home (33600 ) and think that they can be used.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>

>> --
>>
>> In virtually all cases the subscriber line to your home is terminated at
>>
> the phone company in a piece of dedicated equipment (e.g. a switch). As
> such the lines can't be connected as a LAN unless the phone company does
> it.
> Larry

OK,...

but what about the people inside the building ?
as all the lines are connected to the same switch.

John Hasler 04-26-2008 06:31 PM

Phone lines network

Jabka Atu writes:
> but what about the people inside the building ? as all the lines are
> connected to the same switch.

If they are all on the same line any two of them could communicate using
two modems but you can't put more than two modems on a line.
--
John Hasler

Paul Johnson 04-26-2008 06:50 PM

Phone lines network

On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:59:36 am Jabka Atu wrote:
> owens@peak.org wrote:
> >> Hello ..
> >>
> >> Since in isreal most of the people connected to one compony (Bezeq) is
> >> it posible to use thous lines as LAN? .
> >> I understent that it will be really slow , but still is it even posible
> >> ?
> >>
> >> I found few old modems at home (33600 ) and think that they can be used.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> In virtually all cases the subscriber line to your home is terminated at
> >
> > the phone company in a piece of dedicated equipment (e.g. a switch). As
> > such the lines can't be connected as a LAN unless the phone company does
> > it.
> > Larry
>
> OK,...
>
> but what about the people inside the building ?
> as all the lines are connected to the same switch.

It's the telco's network, not yours. You'd still have to make sure your not
going to end up interfering with their equipment. Why not just get some
ethernet cable and network cards? You can wire an apartment full of
roommates for about US$60 and some strategic tucking of wire along baseboards
or ceiling hooks, and that's if you have to buy everybody an ethernet card
and some ceiling hooks...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Kevin Mark 04-26-2008 07:36 PM

Phone lines network

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:50:28AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > the phone company in a piece of dedicated equipment (e.g. a switch). As
> > > such the lines can't be connected as a LAN unless the phone company does
> > > it.
> > > Larry
> >
> > OK,...
> >
> > but what about the people inside the building ?
> > as all the lines are connected to the same switch.
>
> It's the telco's network, not yours. You'd still have to make sure your not
> going to end up interfering with their equipment. Why not just get some
> ethernet cable and network cards? You can wire an apartment full of
> roommates for about US$60 and some strategic tucking of wire along baseboards
> or ceiling hooks, and that's if you have to buy everybody an ethernet card
> and some ceiling hooks...

In the same vein, you can also utilize wifi and powerline ethernet.
I use wifi and it can go through some material(wood, plasterboard) and
covers open spaces. You can also set up various parabolic antennas to
connect distant points. Powerline ethernet works by sending ethernet
over the mains in your structure. Not sure of how relaible it is, as
I've never used it.
HTH
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Mark Allums 04-26-2008 08:55 PM

Phone lines network

Jabka Atu wrote:

owens@peak.org wrote:

Hello ..

Since in isreal most of the people connected to one compony (Bezeq) is
it posible to use thous lines as LAN? .
I understent that it will be really slow , but still is it even posible ?

I found few old modems at home (33600 ) and think that they can be used.

Thank you in advance.

In virtually all cases the subscriber line to your home is terminated at

the phone company in a piece of dedicated equipment (e.g. a switch). As
such the lines can't be connected as a LAN unless the phone company does
it.
Larry

OK,...

but what about the people inside the building ?
as all the lines are connected to the same switch.

There exist consumer-level devices that use the house wiring as a
low-performing network. Flat, two pair phone cable will work a bit like
CAT5 twisted-pair. It's also done with AC power house wiring; Netgear
sells a couple of versions of this for the US. It's too expensive.
Wireless G or N is almost always a better choice.

AFAIK, nobody bothers with this for larger organizations/installations.
It should be possible for analog phone systems. Won't work at all
with a digital PBX.

--
Mark Allums

"carlos bogantes" 04-26-2008 09:31 PM

Phone lines network

Check the Milkfish project, it may be what are you looking for!

Mark Allums 04-27-2008 12:01 AM

Phone lines network

Kevin Mark wrote:

In the same vein, you can also utilize wifi and powerline ethernet.
I use wifi and it can go through some material(wood, plasterboard) and
covers open spaces. You can also set up various parabolic antennas to
connect distant points. Powerline ethernet works by sending ethernet
over the mains in your structure. Not sure of how relaible it is, as
I've never used it.
HTH
-K

I have used powerline networking, and it is fairly reliable, but really
suffers in speed at times. WiFi is to be preferred, I think. Also, it
has security issues. If two powerline networks are sharing the same
circuits (power from the same transformer, such as two houses in the
same neighborhood, or separate apartments in the same building) traffic
on it must be encrypted, so no advantage there, over WiFi. It is
subject to the vagaries of a typical modern household, with all of the
interference from motors starting, etc.

--
Mark Allums

Micha 04-27-2008 09:16 PM

Phone lines network

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:01:19 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> Kevin Mark wrote:
> >
> > In the same vein, you can also utilize wifi and powerline ethernet.
> > I use wifi and it can go through some material(wood, plasterboard) and
> > covers open spaces. You can also set up various parabolic antennas to
> > connect distant points. Powerline ethernet works by sending ethernet
> > over the mains in your structure. Not sure of how relaible it is, as
> > I've never used it.
> > HTH
> > -K
>
> I have used powerline networking, and it is fairly reliable, but really
> suffers in speed at times. WiFi is to be preferred, I think. Also, it
> has security issues. If two powerline networks are sharing the same
> circuits (power from the same transformer, such as two houses in the
> same neighborhood, or separate apartments in the same building) traffic
> on it must be encrypted, so no advantage there, over WiFi. It is
> subject to the vagaries of a typical modern household, with all of the
> interference from motors starting, etc.

My cousin used (I think he still does but not sure) a phone line adapter. It's
good for home and possibly soho usage but I guess anything more then 2 or 3
machines will probably be too much. Its an adaptor that connects to the phone
line but I don't recall right now if it's ethernet or usb (possibly usb since I
guess it needs power). I can find out if you want.

Its called hpna, have a look at
http://www.homenethelp.com/network/phoneline.asp

I don't know if it can go across the local switchboard but I guess that it
might. It should pass to the next house though since you have your own line to
the local switchboard (building/few houses) and from there the data is combined
for going onward and band limited, I'm guessing enough to ruin the info but
can't guaranty anything.

the local phone company offered this option for a while but didn't make much
noise about it. It wasn't cheap though. About 100$ for an adaptor and 200$ for
an adsl/hpna modem.

It's simple to setup, but if you don't have thick walls/floors that stop
wireless it will be more versatile. With wpa2 encryption it should also be
secure enough. Another option if you need good network is to thread the house
with cat cables, would require a switch, but that is not too expansive.