FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Tzafrir Cohen
 
Default Phone lines network

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 05:31:00PM -0400, carlos bogantes wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Jabka Atu writes:
> > > but what about the people inside the building ? as all the lines are
> > > connected to the same switch.
> >
> > If they are all on the same line any two of them could communicate using
> > two modems but you can't put more than two modems on a line.
>
> Check the Milkfish project, it may be what are you looking for!

In what way?

I looked at http://www.milkfish.org/ and all I see is a "conventional"
VoIP router. It may have a FXS port or two (to connect a local analog
phones) or an FXO port (to connect as a modem to the PSTN) but nothing
there about networking over phone lines.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 AM
 
Default Phone lines network

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 05:31:00PM -0400, carlos bogantes wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Jabka Atu writes:
>> > > but what about the people inside the building ? as all the lines
>> are
>> > > connected to the same switch.
>> >
>> > If they are all on the same line any two of them could communicate
>> using
>> > two modems but you can't put more than two modems on a line.
>>
>> Check the Milkfish project, it may be what are you looking for!
>
> In what way?
>
> I looked at http://www.milkfish.org/ and all I see is a "conventional"
> VoIP router. It may have a FXS port or two (to connect a local analog
> phones) or an FXO port (to connect as a modem to the PSTN) but nothing
> there about networking over phone lines.
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
> http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
> tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
> ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

I still don't see the value of this approach. Considering the cable
usually installed by the PTT (CAT2 I believe), one would expect a max
distance between stations of a couple of km and a max transmitted rate of
at best several Mb. Also you can't merely "splice" the customers' cables
together; one would likely have to install some sort of analog
bidirectional bridge. It seems that any of the 802.11 approaches are
superior in all respects.
Larry
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
"Jamie White"
 
Default Phone lines network

Yes it is possible, theres various devices on the market todo it.

There is one big catch, you only usually get 10 meg links. Also the
devices are hard to find, I know the one I got (which I am not using
because it didn't work in the UK!), is 10 meg, but links to the
computer via USB.

Jamie

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 05:31:00PM -0400, carlos bogantes wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Jabka Atu writes:
> > > > but what about the people inside the building ? as all the lines are
> > > > connected to the same switch.
> > >
> > > If they are all on the same line any two of them could communicate using
> > > two modems but you can't put more than two modems on a line.
> >
> > Check the Milkfish project, it may be what are you looking for!
>
> In what way?
>
> I looked at http://www.milkfish.org/ and all I see is a "conventional"
> VoIP router. It may have a FXS port or two (to connect a local analog
> phones) or an FXO port (to connect as a modem to the PSTN) but nothing
> there about networking over phone lines.
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
> http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
> tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
> ICQ# 16849754 | | friend
>
>
> --
>
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Jamie


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Tzafrir Cohen
 
Default Phone lines network

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:52:28AM +0100, Jamie White wrote:
> Yes it is possible, theres various devices on the market todo it.
>
> There is one big catch, you only usually get 10 meg links. Also the
> devices are hard to find, I know the one I got (which I am not using
> because it didn't work in the UK!), is 10 meg, but links to the
> computer via USB.

What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet, generally.

Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for quite
some time.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Phone lines network

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/09/08 08:52, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:52:28AM +0100, Jamie White wrote:
>> Yes it is possible, theres various devices on the market todo it.
>>
>> There is one big catch, you only usually get 10 meg links. Also the
>> devices are hard to find, I know the one I got (which I am not using
>> because it didn't work in the UK!), is 10 meg, but links to the
>> computer via USB.
>
> What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet, generally.

USB is a shared bus. Worse, the bus speed slows down to match that
of the device on the bus. It should be used for nothing more than
mice, keyboards, and still cameras.

> Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for quite
> some time.
>


- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIJGt5S9HxQb37XmcRAk0hAKC7hLev7EzZsUs8tNsFx1 mARGRHcACgyp/e
1XrBW1UlAJ+9zTUJOqtxyiM=
=9q59
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Paul Johnson
 
Default Phone lines network

On Friday 09 May 2008 06:52:11 am Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:52:28AM +0100, Jamie White wrote:
> > Yes it is possible, theres various devices on the market todo it.
> >
> > There is one big catch, you only usually get 10 meg links. Also the
> > devices are hard to find, I know the one I got (which I am not using
> > because it didn't work in the UK!), is 10 meg, but links to the
> > computer via USB.
>
> What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet, generally.

1.1MBit thinnet more like it.

> Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for quite
> some time.

Speaking from experience, it's not the ideal solution even in that case, to be
sure. You pay way more for less bandwidth given available alternatives.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html
 
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Christopher Judd
 
Default Phone lines network

On Friday 09 May 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:

> >
> > What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet,
> > generally.
>
> 1.1MBit thinnet more like it.
>
> > Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for quite
> > some time.
>
> Speaking from experience, it's not the ideal solution even in that case, to
> be sure. You pay way more for less bandwidth given available alternatives.
^^^^^^^^^
That depends on where you live. :-)

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. judd@wadsworth.org |
------------------------------------------------------------------------


IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Paul Johnson
 
Default Phone lines network

On Friday 09 May 2008 10:57:08 am Christopher Judd wrote:
> On Friday 09 May 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet,
> > > generally.
> >
> > 1.1MBit thinnet more like it.
> >
> > > Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for
> > > quite some time.
> >
> > Speaking from experience, it's not the ideal solution even in that case,
> > to be sure. You pay way more for less bandwidth given available
> > alternatives.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^
> That depends on where you live. :-)

OK, inside North America in places rural electrification has reached...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org