Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Default How about LVM?

Greetings;

What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
enough to use for a backup repository?

I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for
backup but administering the assignment of data to
drives would be a headache. I am thinking that LVM
might solve that by letting me make one big dataspace.

Comments?

Thanks for all the help, no matter what I ask!

TIA!
Dennis

Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable enough to use for
a backup repository?

I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for backup but
administering the assignment of data to drives would be a headache. I
am thinking that LVM might solve that by letting me make one big
dataspace.

Comments?

Thanks for all the help, no matter what I ask!

TIA!
Dennis

Quite stable. The only problem is this: the more drives you use, the
greater the point of failure is. If you use 5 HDs for an LVM, you have
5 points of failure in which you will loose all your data. HTOH, if you
run a raid (1 or 5) you have built in redundancy of one failure allowed
before data is lost.

What does this mean to you? I would run a raid (not raid0) and run lvm
on top of that (assuming you have enough HDs). RAID1 will give you N/2
where N is size of the drive.
RAID5 will give you N+N+N.....-N for disk size (you loose one disk worth
of storage in raid5).

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Mark Maas

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 08:43 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
> enough to use for a backup repository?

What kind of repo do you mean? A debian repo?
At any rate, The companies I have worked for have been using LVM for
years (knowingly and sometimes unknowingly ;-) and the LVM tech was
never the issue.

If there was an issue, it usually was something with the file system on
top of it, but never the LVM bit.

Seriously, this technology is rock solid. Production ready, much more so
then say... Veritas backup exec, or something like it ;-)

> I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for
> backup but administering the assignment of data to
> drives would be a headache. I am thinking that LVM
> might solve that by letting me make one big dataspace.

Makes sense. How many are there? Is it worth putting your backup process
as a drbd set? (Network Raid) so you can install some HA for your
backup?

That way you could install two identical servers, one master the other
slave. drbd would keep everything synched, you have *less* chance of
losing your disk based backups.

May I also ask what it is your backing up? I could be of more help when
we know more of what you are trying to backup.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Mike Bird

On Sat April 26 2008 06:43:09 Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
> enough to use for a backup repository?

Yes. We've been using LVM for years with 9x200GB drives.

> I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for
> backup but administering the assignment of data to
> drives would be a headache. I am thinking that LVM
> might solve that by letting me make one big dataspace.

A slight variant - our drives are organized in three
volume groups. We use three cycles for our backups.
By creating logical volumes in each of the three
volume groups we ensure that a single or double drive
failure doesn't wipe out all three backups of any
system.

--Mike Bird

Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Paul Johnson

On Saturday 26 April 2008 06:43:09 am Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
> enough to use for a backup repository?

AFAICT, yeah. I switched to LVM on all my drives a few weeks ago to avoid
hard disk upgrade nightmares down the road and to help consolidate some
drives into a single filesystem.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca