-   -   Any `scim' users out there? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/76511-any-scim-users-out-there.html)

Rodolfo Medina 04-26-2008 10:47 AM

Any `scim' users out there?

Hi.

I use scim to input chinese characters within gedit documents, but I can't
print those characters: in gedit print preview they are not displayed.

Any scim user out there, who can suggest how to do what I want? I have Debian
Etch.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Osamu Aoki 04-26-2008 11:31 AM

Any `scim' users out there?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:47:33AM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I use scim to input chinese characters within gedit documents, but I can't
> print those characters: in gedit print preview they are not displayed.
>
> Any scim user out there, who can suggest how to do what I want? I have Debian
> Etch.

The situation is the same with lenny and Japanese.

Problem is not about scim which takes care input character data for
applications such as gedit. Your problem is printing.

Have you installed gs-cjk-resource and its Recommends and Suggests?

Osamu

"H.S." 04-26-2008 06:30 PM

Any `scim' users out there?

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Hi.

I use scim to input chinese characters within gedit documents, but I can't
print those characters: in gedit print preview they are not displayed.

Any scim user out there, who can suggest how to do what I want? I have Debian
Etch.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

I have a few friends who have had similar problems with Indic fonts.
They would type indic languages, but they couldn't print. The printed
output just had boxes in place of the characters. I reproduced that in
Debian Lenny that I am using. So the problem is not scim, but how the
fonts are handled by the printing engine (utf-8 or unicode support in
postscript?). The workaround was to export the document with Indic fonts
to a PDF and then print that PDF file.

BTW, IIRC, I could print out okay on a Fedora machine though.

->HS

Rodolfo Medina 04-26-2008 07:53 PM

Any `scim' users out there?

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> The situation is the same with lenny and Japanese.
>
> Problem is not about scim which takes care input character data for
> applications such as gedit. Your problem is printing.
>
> Have you installed gs-cjk-resource and its Recommends and Suggests?

Thanks.
The problem seems to be solved once I installed:

ttf-arphic-bkai00mp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp

. But now, how can I set at my pleasure the character size?

Thanks again
Rodolfo