Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Andrea Gozzi

Default Moving postfix to a new system

Hi.
I currently have postfix on an old machine running debian lenny. Due to
performance issues I plan to move the mail server to a newer more
powerful system.
I am considering various options but I think I will still use debian
testing since it has never let me down in several years.
I now have two question for the list:

* Postfix stores the mail in Maildir format in /home/vmail and the
users/domains/forwards tables are in a sql db.
Other than setting up on the new system the same stuff I am currently
using (mysql, amavis, sa, ...), will it work if I just copy over the
entire 'vmail' directory and the current configuration? Is there
anything else I need to move to the new server?

* The current box has not been apt-get update'd in months and I plan to
keep it this way until I move the mailserver features to the new system.
The postfix currently running is 2.4.5-3 (as reported by aptitude).
When I setup the new server it will probably install the postfix that is
in the lenny repository atm, 2.5.1-1 .
My question is: to have the smoothest migration possible, should I
upgrade postfix on the old mailserver and THEN copy the confs+maildirs
to the new system or can I just do the copy process without bothering
about the different releases?

Thanks.

Andrea

(In case it's needed)
postconf -n:

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 0
mydestination = b103.domain.com, localhost.domain.com, localhost
myhostname = mail.domain.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 10.0.1.0/24
myorigin = /etc/mailname
receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains = lists.domain.com
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated, check_client_access
cidr:/etc/postfix/cidr_checks, check_client_access
regexp:/etc/postfix/client_access_checks,
reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname, permit
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
smtpd_helo_required = yes
permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, reject_rbl_client
zen.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org, permit
smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = yes
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_rhsbl_sender dsn.rfc-ignorant.org,
permit
smtpd_timeout = 60
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtpd_use_tls = yes
strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
transport_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_lists_transport.cf
virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 0
virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Allan Wind

On 2008-04-26T11:27:43+0200, Andrea Gozzi wrote:
> * Postfix stores the mail in Maildir format in /home/vmail and the
> users/domains/forwards tables are in a sql db.
> Other than setting up on the new system the same stuff I am currently
> using (mysql, amavis, sa, ...), will it work if I just copy over the
> entire 'vmail' directory and the current configuration? Is there
> anything else I need to move to the new server?

I suggest you check out the results "migrate postfix", "migrate mysql"
etc from your favorite search engine. For instance, it is easily
discoverable that you migrate a mysql database to another host via
mysqldump.

If I was you I would come up with a process that allows you to migrate a
few friendly users, and let that run for a few days before migrating the
rest over. The main state you have on the mail server is mailboxes, and
spooled mail. You copy the former over, and the latter expires by
default in 96 hours. If you can run the old server for 96 hours after
you switched over, then you do not have to worry about the spooled mail.

Whatever process you settle on it would be good idea to test it before
trying it out in production.

> * The current box has not been apt-get update'd in months and I plan to
> keep it this way until I move the mailserver features to the new system.
> The postfix currently running is 2.4.5-3 (as reported by aptitude).
> When I setup the new server it will probably install the postfix that is
> in the lenny repository atm, 2.5.1-1 .
> My question is: to have the smoothest migration possible, should I
> upgrade postfix on the old mailserver and THEN copy the confs+maildirs
> to the new system or can I just do the copy process without bothering
> about the different releases?

I would do everything I could to minimize differences between the two
servers. This reduces your risk during migration when you have a lot of
things going on already.

/Allan