Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
"Hans Martin"

Default Howto mount a Debian disk (LVM, dm-crypt)?

Hi,

I installed an etch system the usual d-i way (using the complete disk,
one partition, LVM, dm-crypted), but now I have to mount this disk on
the same computer which now has a new (bigger) disk. I have an IDE/USB
adaptor for this, but of course the easy way (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt or
similar) does not work.

Interestingly, when I connect the disk to my computer, I get a
filemanager window which shows me the initrds and kernels and I get a
passphrase prompt (is it gnome-mount?). I enter my passphrase, but
only the init stuff is mounted, not the crypted part of the disk.

Many thanks in expectation!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Andrew Reid

On Friday 25 April 2008 20:27, Hans Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed an etch system the usual d-i way (using the complete disk,
> one partition, LVM, dm-crypted), but now I have to mount this disk on
> the same computer which now has a new (bigger) disk. I have an IDE/USB
> adaptor for this, but of course the easy way (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt or
> similar) does not work.
>
> Interestingly, when I connect the disk to my computer, I get a
> filemanager window which shows me the initrds and kernels and I get a
> passphrase prompt (is it gnome-mount?). I enter my passphrase, but
> only the init stuff is mounted, not the crypted part of the disk.
>
> Many thanks in expectation!

You can manually start up the encrypted virtual device using
base device, /dev/sd<x>, and <name> is the virtual device you
want to create.

Once the decrypted device is set up, you can then do
name as the foregoing command, and <mountpt> is the mount point
where you want to put it.

It's also possible that, after the luksOpen step, the file manager
will pop up with the new device, I'm not sure.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM
"Hans Martin"

Andrew wrote:
> You can manually start up the encrypted virtual device using
> base device, /dev/sd<x>, and <name> is the virtual device you
> want to create.
>
> Once the decrypted device is set up, you can then do
> name as the foregoing command, and <mountpt> is the mount point
> where you want to put it.

Thanks for the hint, but it does not work.

When I connect my disk, I get the following new devices:
/dev/sda and /dev/sda{1,2,5}.

I can do:
# losetup /dev/loopX /dev/sda5
# cryptSetup luksOpen /dev/loopX foobar
(asks for passphrase, everything fine, so far)

Now I think I have to "vgchange -a y", but it fails,
maybe because my new disks VG has the same name as the
one on the disk I like to mount? d-i seems to take
the VG name from the machine name, and because I did
not change my computers name, it seems to conflict here.
How can I rename my VG? (vgchange warns about "Duplicate
VG name - and segfaults.)

When I get my VG activated, mounting should be easy, but
now I'm lost.
--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free

Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Andrew Reid

On Saturday 26 April 2008 05:11, Hans Martin wrote:

> > Once the decrypted device is set up, you can then do
> > name as the foregoing command, and <mountpt> is the mount point
> > where you want to put it.
>
> Thanks for the hint, but it does not work.
>
> [snippage]
> How can I rename my VG? (vgchange warns about "Duplicate
> VG name - and segfaults.)
>
> When I get my VG activated, mounting should be easy, but
> now I'm lost.

It turns out that there's a "vgrename" in the lvm2 package
for Debian "etch" (and others, no doubt). The man page says
the syntax is just "vgrename <oldname> <newname>".

I've never done this, but that looks like your answer.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net