-   -   Can'r record in audacity (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/76214-canr-record-audacity.html)

Mark Neidorff 04-25-2008 06:47 PM

Can'r record in audacity

On Friday 25 April 2008 02:05 pm, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have been trying to record in audacity without success. Using
> alsamixergui all the relevant controls are up and on.
> Audacity plays back fine using the Alsa default, but none of the 6
> connections shown in the Audacity dialogue including Alsa default work.
> Audacity works in Ubuntu Gutsy using Alsa default in both playing back and
> recording.
> I am using Debian Sid/Lenny.
>
> What's the secret here ??

[chomp]

What are your settings in the audacity "Audio I/O" preferences?

Frank McCormick 04-25-2008 07:08 PM

Can'r record in audacity

Mark Neidorff 04-26-2008 09:52 PM

Can'r record in audacity

On Friday 25 April 2008 03:08 pm, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:47:22 -0400
>
> Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 25 April 2008 02:05 pm, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > >

> > > I have been trying to record in audacity without success. Using
> > > alsamixergui all the relevant controls are up and on.
> > > Audacity plays back fine using the Alsa default, but none of the 6
> > > connections shown in the Audacity dialogue including Alsa default work.
> > > Audacity works in Ubuntu Gutsy using Alsa default in both playing back
> > > and recording.
> > > I am using Debian Sid/Lenny.
> >
> > What are your settings in the audacity "Audio I/O" preferences?
>
> At the moment Alsa default for both recording and playback. But I have
> tried all the selections for recording which are available in that box and
> none works. Alsa default allows me to record but its just noise, not the
> input from the mike. All the others give me a "error opening device"
> dialogue box. Strange thing is it works in Ubuntu Gutsy and I am
> embarrassed to say the mike also works fine on my wife's XP box.

Check in your /dev directory for /dev/dsp. I have playback and record set
to /dev/dsp, channels to 2 and select "software playthrough". That does work
for me. Can you choose those settings? Have you looked at the alsamixer
settings and turned things on?

Frank McCormick 04-26-2008 10:19 PM

Can'r record in audacity

"David Fox" 04-26-2008 10:44 PM

Can'r record in audacity

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Been there. Tried that. /dev/dsp works for playback as does Alsa
> default...but for record..nothing works including /dev/dsp. Most of the

Does recording sound work from outside Audacity? For instance,
'record' should work - it's a symlink for 'sox', probably the most
basic way to do it.

Frank McCormick 04-27-2008 12:57 AM

Can'r record in audacity