Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
simon rowe

Default Installing flashplayer

Hello,

I have recently installed Debian for the first time
and am just trying to get to grips with using Linux. I
am having trouble installing flash player with apt,
below is the output that I am getting:

simondebian:/sys# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is
referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been
obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation
candidate

I was wondering if you would be able to shed some
light on how to install this.

Many Thanks,
Simon Rowe.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 25 April 2008 18:45:05 Richard Möhn wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:16:27PM +0100, simon rowe wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently installed Debian for the first time
> > and am just trying to get to grips with using Linux. I
> > am having trouble installing flash player with apt,
> > below is the output that I am getting:
> >
> > simondebian:/sys# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree... Done
> > Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is
> > referred to by another package.
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Simon Rowe.
>
> Hello Simon,
>
> you could install the tarball from the Adobe page manually or you can
> install the flashplugin from the Debian backports I think.
>
> Greetings,
> Richard

Wait, First are you amd64?
Thierry

Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Chris Roberts

On Friday 25 Apr 2008, simon rowe wrote:
> I have recently installed Debian for the first time
> and am just trying to get to grips with using Linux. I
> am having trouble installing flash player with apt,
> below is the output that I am getting:
>
> simondebian:/sys# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is
> referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been
> obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation
> candidate

Run "apt-cache showpkg flashplugin-nonfree" to determine what packages are
available in your current repositories. Also which version of Debian you are
using?

Chris.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Richard Möhn