-   -   Custom icon (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/76078-custom-icon.html)

Mark Neidorff 04-25-2008 03:31 PM

Custom icon

Hi all,

(This should be very easy) Debian Etch and KDE desktop. I installed
virtualbox and want to add a custom icon for it. I have the icon file
already. So here are the questions:

1. What format does the icon have to be in?
2. I noticed that there are different locations for icons..../usr/share/icons
and /usr/share/pixmaps to name 2 that I easily found. Where should I be
putting this custom icon?

Thanks,

Mark

Nigel Henry 04-25-2008 04:03 PM

Custom icon

On Friday 25 April 2008 17:31, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (This should be very easy) Debian Etch and KDE desktop. I installed
> virtualbox and want to add a custom icon for it. I have the icon file
> already. So here are the questions:
>
> 1. What format does the icon have to be in?

I don't believe it matters too much. Icons I've made myself, I save as .png.
Others in my ~/Icon file are .xpm, .xbm (which is one I altered from a logo
for xsynth).
> 2. I noticed that there are different locations for
> icons..../usr/share/icons and /usr/share/pixmaps to name 2 that I easily
> found. Where should I be putting this custom icon?

Myself, for the ones I've created, I make an Icon dir in ~/, and it's easy
enough to just point the desktop launcher to that Icon dir to use a specific
icon.

Nigel.

Mark Neidorff 04-25-2008 04:54 PM

Custom icon

On Friday 25 April 2008 12:03 pm, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2008 17:31, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > (This should be very easy) Debian Etch and KDE desktop. I installed
> > virtualbox and want to add a custom icon for it. I have the icon file
> > already. So here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. What format does the icon have to be in?
>
> I don't believe it matters too much. Icons I've made myself, I save as
> .png. Others in my ~/Icon file are .xpm, .xbm (which is one I altered from
> a logo for xsynth).
>
> > 2. I noticed that there are different locations for
> > icons..../usr/share/icons and /usr/share/pixmaps to name 2 that I easily
> > found. Where should I be putting this custom icon?
>
> Myself, for the ones I've created, I make an Icon dir in ~/, and it's easy
> enough to just point the desktop launcher to that Icon dir to use a
> specific icon.
>
> Nigel.

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.