Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Almost Working (was: Help using my new scanner)

Rich Healey wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

On Thursday 24 April 2008 07:36:01 you wrote:

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

Are you in scanner group?

Yes, my original post says that I changed the device node's group to
scanner and added myself to the group, then logged out and back in.

Why did you change the device node's group? I have never done that to
get a scanner recognized.
Thierry
PS: respond to the list, not to me in private. It helps other people
on the list.
Thanks

The nodes owner was root:root. I want to be able to use the scanner as
a normal user.

- From memory debian uses setuid wrapper binaries to get around this in
the userland anyway, thereby letting users use devices, but not interact
directly with them.

It's all about security

After trying a number of other things, unsuccessfully, including
compiling save from sources so that I could compile a different backend
from source which is supposed to work with my scanner. I finally got
the scanner to function if I run xscanimage AS ROOT! I don't want to
have to do that. I then uninstalled all of that mess and reinstalled
sane from the Debian packages. I then remembered about /dev/.static/dev
and added the scanner node there. I think that was when things started
to work. Apparently adding the node in /dev did not work, but
/dev/.static/dev did. I then changed its ownership to root:scanner and
its permissions to 664, but I still can't run as myself, only as root.
Do I need to rebout for those changes to take effect? Is there some way
to set it up with the ownerchip and permissions that I want directly
from mknod? Is there a better way to get this working properly?

All help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:12:19AM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> After trying a number of other things, unsuccessfully, including
> compiling save from sources so that I could compile a different
> backend from source which is supposed to work with my scanner. I
> finally got the scanner to function if I run xscanimage AS ROOT! I
> don't want to have to do that. I then uninstalled all of that mess
> and reinstalled sane from the Debian packages. I then remembered
> about /dev/.static/dev and added the scanner node there. I think that
> was when things started to work. Apparently adding the node in /dev
> did not work, but /dev/.static/dev did. I then changed its ownership
> to root:scanner and its permissions to 664, but I still can't run as
> myself, only as root. Do I need to rebout for those changes to take
> effect? Is there some way to set it up with the ownerchip and
> permissions that I want directly from mknod? Is there a better way to
> get this working properly?

You need something like this in /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane.rules

# Epson DX-7400 | Epson DX-7400
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0838", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

and make sure you are in the 'scanner' group. (I copied that line from
my sid machine).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)