Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
"Bipin Babu"

Default Grub2

Hi All,

Anyone tried Grub2?* I run lenny and Grub2 is only a 'dummy package' in the repository. I have the standard apt sources. Any howto to replace the existing grub with grub2 would be great.

BTW what is GFX-Grub? Is it a patch for GRUB or GRUB2? I don't see it in the lenny repos. Any idea?

TIA.
--
Bipin Babu

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Gilles Mocellin

Le Friday 25 April 2008 15:50:50 Bipin Babu, vous avez écrit*:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone tried Grub2?

I do since some weeks.

> I run lenny and Grub2 is only a 'dummy package' in the
> repository. I have the standard apt sources. Any howto to replace the
> existing grub with grub2 would be great.

The real package is grub-pc (for pc architecture).
Just insall it, it will propose you to just chainload from the existing grub
to test.
After that, it can totally replace grub by installing it to the MBR with
grub-install.

> BTW what is GFX-Grub? Is it a patch for GRUB or GRUB2? I don't see it in
> the lenny repos. Any idea?

gfx is for grub 1.x.
grub 2 support graphics but I don't think there is such themes as in
Fedora/OpenSuse/Ubuntu (gfx-grub).

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:50 AM, Bipin Babu <bipinbabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone tried Grub2? I run lenny and Grub2 is only a 'dummy package' in the
> repository. I have the standard apt sources. Any howto to replace the
> existing grub with grub2 would be great.
>
> BTW what is GFX-Grub? Is it a patch for GRUB or GRUB2? I don't see it in the
> lenny repos. Any idea?

I just thought I'd say that I have been using Grub2 for several months, and I
haven't had any problems. I think Gilles' email answers your questions. Good
luck.

Cheers
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
"Bipin Babu"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Gilles Mocellin <gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:

Le Friday 25 April 2008 15:50:50 Bipin Babu, vous avez écrit*:

> Hi All,

> Anyone tried Grub2?

I do since some weeks.

> I run lenny and Grub2 is only a 'dummy package' in the

> repository. I have the standard apt sources. Any howto to replace the

> existing grub with grub2 would be great.

The real package is grub-pc (for pc architecture).

Just insall it, it will propose you to just chainload from the existing grub

to test.

After that, it can totally replace grub by installing it to the MBR with

grub-install.

> BTW what is GFX-Grub? Is it a patch for GRUB or GRUB2? I don't see it in

> the lenny repos. Any idea?

gfx is for grub 1.x.

grub 2 support graphics but I don't think there is such themes as in

Fedora/OpenSuse/Ubuntu (gfx-grub).

Thank you Giles. In-fact I just installed it...and the scripts made it really easy.

Question: Now when i reboot it still shows me 'GRUB Version 1.96' am I seeing it right?
--
Bipin Babu

Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Gilles Mocellin

Le Saturday 26 April 2008 00:11:06 Bipin Babu, vous avez écrit*:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Gilles Mocellin <gilles.mocellin@free.fr>
>
> wrote:
> > Le Friday 25 April 2008 15:50:50 Bipin Babu, vous avez écrit :
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Anyone tried Grub2?
> >
> > I do since some weeks.
> >
> > > I run lenny and Grub2 is only a 'dummy package' in the
> > > repository. I have the standard apt sources. Any howto to replace the
> > > existing grub with grub2 would be great.
> >
> > The real package is grub-pc (for pc architecture).
> > Just insall it, it will propose you to just chainload from the existing
> > grub
> > to test.
> > After that, it can totally replace grub by installing it to the MBR with
> > grub-install.
> >
> > > BTW what is GFX-Grub? Is it a patch for GRUB or GRUB2? I don't see it
> > > in the lenny repos. Any idea?
> >
> > gfx is for grub 1.x.
> > grub 2 support graphics but I don't think there is such themes as in
> > Fedora/OpenSuse/Ubuntu (gfx-grub).
>
> Thank you Giles. In-fact I just installed it...and the scripts made it
> really easy.
>
> Question: Now when i reboot it still shows me 'GRUB Version 1.96' am I
> seeing it right?

Debconf should have tell you what you have to do to really finish the
installation, after you have test it throught chainload.

First, make sur you don't have anymore the grub 1.96 package.
Then try (I suppose that your boot disk is /dev/sda:

# grub-install /dev/sda
# update-grub
# reboot

Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
"Ronald van Haren"

Hi all,

Grub2 is now in my staging dir for both architectures. I'll move it
into extra shortly.

Things to know:
- config file changed to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- config syntax changed a bit
- most information can be found on the grub2 archwiki page [1]

If you have any experience with grub2 and know your way around, the
wiki page still needs some attention for some more special options.
The basic stuff should be covered.

If you have a more exotic configuration than I have, give it a try. I
can't test a lot of use cases myself.

Ronald

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:31:40 +0100
schrieb "Ronald van Haren" <pressh@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Grub2 is now in my staging dir for both architectures. I'll move it
> into extra shortly.
>
> Things to know:
> - config file changed to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> - config syntax changed a bit
> - most information can be found on the grub2 archwiki page [1]
>
> If you have any experience with grub2 and know your way around, the
> wiki page still needs some attention for some more special options.
> The basic stuff should be covered.
>
> If you have a more exotic configuration than I have, give it a try. I
> can't test a lot of use cases myself.
>
> Ronald
>
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

Have you tried to compile it on x86_64? I highly doubt it can't be
done.

I'm subscribed to the grub development list for a long time and so far
I would not expect any usable release before 2010 - so why do we put
this into extra? Only because 2 devs find it cool to have it? Why not
maintain it in AUR until it becomes late beta state and watch the
usual voting procedure?

Look what grub devs posted on 20080907:

Hi All,

As our release plan is rotting a bit, I zapped current plan on Wiki and
here is my proposal for plan targetting 2.0 gold release.

== 1.97 ==

Estimate Date:: 2008-??-?? (ASAP)

Release Focus:: General release. Improving usability and stability.

== 1.98 ==

Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (2009 new years release ?)

Release Focus:: Integrating USB and Graphical Menu to baseline.
Improving usability and stability.

== 1.99 ==

Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (mid 2009?)

Release Focus:: Feature catchup from GRUB Legacy. Serious
stabilization and documentation.

Note:: We would like to claim that GRUB 2 is 'beta' at this stage.
'beta' means that GRUB 2 has the same usability as GRUB Legacy.

== 2.00 ==

Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (2010 new years release ?)

Release Focus:: Serious stabilization and finalize documentation.

Note:: GRUB 2 is now 'gold'. Official major release intended to
replace GRUB Legacy in mainstream use.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen

To me it's not ready and worth sitting in extra. One exception I could
imagine: call it grub-devel. That's what it is. calling it grub2 in
extra implies to me it to be the stable successor of grub(-legacy). and
that's not true.

I hope it's not to late for serious concerns.

-Andy

Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM
"Ronald van Haren"

On 12/3/08, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Have you tried to compile it on x86_64? I highly doubt it can't be
> done.

sure I tried but it did not work. From quite a bit googling I found
that all distros who include grub2 use either a statically compiled
one or use a multilib environment.
But please, be my guess and prove I'm wrong.

> I'm subscribed to the grub development list for a long time and so far
> I would not expect any usable release before 2010 - so why do we put
> this into extra? Only because 2 devs find it cool to have it? Why not
> maintain it in AUR until it becomes late beta state and watch the
> usual voting procedure?

AFAIK grub-legacy is not able to boot from ext4 ?

> To me it's not ready and worth sitting in extra. One exception I could
> imagine: call it grub-devel. That's what it is. calling it grub2 in
> extra implies to me it to be the stable successor of grub(-legacy). and
> that's not true.
>
> I hope it's not to late for serious concerns.

well it actually is a bit late as it is already in the repo now. As
far as I understand grub2 is the codename of the next generation grub.
Once it is stable it will be renamed to grub upstream.
Besides that, the install message clearly states that it is still in
development.
IMO renaming it grub-devel again is not needed, but I don't care too
much how it is called. It won't appear on anyones machine all of a
sudden, everyone is free to use it, and if they choose to ignore the
warning they should know what they are doing.

Ronald

Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
RedShift

Ronald van Haren wrote:

Hi all,

Grub2 is now in my staging dir for both architectures. I'll move it
into extra shortly.

Things to know:
- config file changed to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- config syntax changed a bit
- most information can be found on the grub2 archwiki page [1]

If you have any experience with grub2 and know your way around, the
wiki page still needs some attention for some more special options.
The basic stuff should be covered.

If you have a more exotic configuration than I have, give it a try. I
can't test a lot of use cases myself.

Ronald

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

What's the deal with grub2 anyway, why is it taking so long for them to make a release?

Glenn

Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
John Pierce

Greetings all!

I went through the dist-upgrade from inside of KDE and it failed at
about 60% through. I knew the system was in a state of flux at that
point so I opened a shell and ran "sudo dpkg --configure -a." This
went through the rest of the setup process, however GRUB was never
installed. I then did "sudo aptitude install grub2" and the resulting
command installed two packages which were grub2 and grub-pc. I opted
to let the unit chain load grub2 from grub legacy to test it out, but
it fails and the system just boots normally. I mean to say that I am
never taken to a grub2 menu. I have since un-installed grub2 and
repeated this process twice with the same result each time.

Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did this.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at