Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM
"Ronny Karrestad"

Default Grub2

P Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:43:36 -0000, skrev Don deJuan
<donjuansjiz@gmail.com>:

On 03/26/2012 03:08 AM, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:

On Monday 26 Mar 2012 02:18:53 Saurav Modak wrote:

Have you tried manually adding it in grub.cfg BTW?

Editing grub.cfg is a naughty thing to do with Grub2 The "correct"
thing
to do would be to add the fallback to /etc/grub.d/41_custom. However,
Grub
previously automatically detected the fallback correctly. I'm
wondering why

it doesn't now.

Paul

After a kernel panic on boot after todays kernel update (unrelated)
while doing things to get back up and running I just realized this as
well. I do not have a fallback image for either of the 2 kernels I run
for arch.

I think after a grub2 upgrade first you have to install new grub to MBR
and then update grub config.

--
/ronny

Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Kirill Churin

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> ls /boot
> grub * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * lost+found
> initramfs-linux-fallback.img * * * * memtest86+
> initramfs-linux.img * * * * * * * * *root
> initramfs-linux-qosmio-fallback.img *vmlinuz-linux
> initramfs-linux-qosmio.img * * * * * vmlinuz-linux-qosmio
>
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-qosmio
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux-qosmio.img
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
> Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
> *No volume groups found
> Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
>

> I did not notice the grep output the other times, I think I saw something on
> the boards about that.

Obviously, there are no fallback kernels, so grub-mkconfig doesn't find it.

--
Kirill Churin
Jabber: reflexing@reflexing.ru

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Don deJuan

[...]

ok well not obvious to me as they were there and working before grub2's
most recent 2 updates that came through. Now no longer, sorry if its
just noise

Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Kirill Churin

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok well not obvious to me as they were there and working before grub2's most
> recent 2 updates that came through. Now no longer, sorry if its just noise

You can try to regenerate them:
mkinitcpio -p linux
mkinitcpio -p linux-qosmio
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg