Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Mark Greenwood

Default GRUB2

On Sunday 01 Nov 2009 21:40:58 John Pierce wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> I went through the dist-upgrade from inside of KDE and it failed at
> about 60% through. I knew the system was in a state of flux at that
> point so I opened a shell and ran "sudo dpkg --configure -a." This
> went through the rest of the setup process, however GRUB was never
> installed. I then did "sudo aptitude install grub2" and the resulting
> command installed two packages which were grub2 and grub-pc. I opted
> to let the unit chain load grub2 from grub legacy to test it out, but
> it fails and the system just boots normally. I mean to say that I am
> never taken to a grub2 menu. I have since un-installed grub2 and
> repeated this process twice with the same result each time.
>
> Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did this.

I did the upgrade and it didn't install grub2 for me either, but the system carried on working anyway, booting normally with the 'old' grub. If hadn't checked I would never have noticed.

Well, I say "normally", it was pretty slow. Eventually I did a reinstall and now it seems to be smoother.

Mark

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 01 November 2009, John Pierce wrote:
> I mean to say that I am
> never taken to a grub2 menu. I have since un-installed grub2 and
> repeated this process twice with the same result each time.
>
> Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did
> this.

Any messages when it fails to boot??

I filed a bug quite awhile ago when I tried to add grub2 onto the legacy
(during jaunty)

The setup changed all menu.lst entries to have:

root <UUID string>

instead of

uuid <UUID string>

The root line just doesn't work but it was easy enough to change on the fly
EXCEPT FOR:

all entries but the first would have the

root <UUID pointing to the kernel root uuid when it should have pointed to
the /boot uuid.>

the first entry was correct for the uuid.

So adding grub2 to the legacy grub was really messed up and if I recall, the
only thing that would boot was the original first entry, and only using the
legacy grub.

grub sets up wrong boot situation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/446292

Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
John Pierce

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 Nov 2009 21:40:58 John Pierce wrote:
>> Greetings all!
>>
>> I went through the dist-upgrade from inside of KDE and it failed at
>> about 60% through. *I knew the system was in a state of flux at that
>> point so I opened a shell and ran "sudo dpkg --configure -a." *This
>> went through the rest of the setup process, however GRUB was never
>> installed. *I then did "sudo aptitude install grub2" and the resulting
>> command installed two packages which were grub2 and grub-pc. *I opted
>> to let the unit chain load grub2 from grub legacy to test it out, but
>> it fails and the system just boots normally. *I mean to say that I am
>> never taken to a grub2 menu. *I have since un-installed grub2 and
>> repeated this process twice with the same result each time.
>>
>> Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did this.
>>

> I did the upgrade and it didn't install grub2 for me either, but the system carried on working anyway, booting normally with the 'old' grub. If *hadn't checked I would never have noticed.
>
> Well, I say "normally", it was pretty slow. Eventually I did a reinstall and now it seems to be smoother.
>
> Mark

Thanks for the reply, my system has been extremely fast since the
upgrade. I have not checked the boot time but I feel it is probably
near 45 seconds from grub to login. Was running about 1 minute 10
seconds. I have also noticed that the newest nvidia driver is
screaming fast. AMD turion dual core, 4 gigs of RAM and an nvidia
6150 chip.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at

Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
John Pierce

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 November 2009, John Pierce wrote:
>> *I mean to say that I am
>> never taken to a grub2 menu. *I have since un-installed grub2 and
>> repeated this process twice with the same result each time.
>>
>> Also, I have not seen any upgrades come through the pipe line since I did
>> *this.
>>

> Any messages when it fails to boot??
>
> I filed a bug quite awhile ago when I tried to add grub2 onto the legacy
> (during jaunty)
>
> The setup changed all * menu.lst entries to have:
>
> root * <UUID string>
>
> instead of
>
> uuid *<UUID string>
>
> The root line just doesn't work but it was easy enough to change on the fly
> EXCEPT FOR:
>
> all entries but the *first *would have the
>
> root *<UUID *pointing to the kernel root uuid when it should have pointed to
> the /boot *uuid.>
>
> the first entry was correct for the uuid.
>
> So adding grub2 *to the legacy grub was really messed up and if I recall, the
> only thing that would boot *was the original first entry, and only using the
> legacy grub.
>
> grub sets up wrong boot situation
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/446292

Thanks, there is an error message. However, it goes by so fast that I
have not yet gotten it recorded completely. Seems like something
about bss or maybe ess. I am going to try and reboot again and see
what happens. Maybe I can pause the boot process and get it captured.
I might take a blackberry picture of it when it happens.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 01 November 2009, John Pierce wrote:
> Thanks, there is an error message. However, it goes by so fast that I
> have not yet gotten it recorded completely. Seems like something
> about bss or maybe ess. I am going to try and reboot again and see
> what happens. Maybe I can pause the boot process and get it captured.
> I might take a blackberry picture of it when it happens.

I think the PAUSE key might work in this case.....

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 AM
John Pierce

> I think the PAUSE key might work in this case.....

Okay, the pause key did not work. The message however, started with
BSS=0x000something. Obviously a register error in the program!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 AM
John L Fjellstad

John Pierce <john.j35@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, there is an error message. However, it goes by so fast that I
> have not yet gotten it recorded completely. Seems like something
> about bss or maybe ess. I am going to try and reboot again and see
> what happens. Maybe I can pause the boot process and get it captured.
> I might take a blackberry picture of it when it happens.

Set /etc/default/bootlogd to Yes.
You can also try typing dmesg after finishing booting

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Tom H

There is now an official grub2 manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is now an official grub2 manual:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Great news!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 15:53:30 -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> There is now an official grub2 manual:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
>
> Great news!

Sure...

But it have been desiderable to name it "GRUB2" or something like that to
prevent old GRUB users to be more confused than they are now with 2 GRUBs
in play :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón