Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Hal Vaughan

Default How To Find Which Sound Device Is Used?

This could be an issue with Darkice, but I think at this point it's more
that I'm not sure what sound device I'm using.

I have a system running Sarge (yes, it'll be updated to Etch, then
eventually Lenny in my copious amounts of free time!) and I have a
radio hooked up to it through the sound card inputs. I have the
outputs going to speakers and it plays just fine. This is a server and
does not have a GUI.

In the past I've used a setup like this so I could also record radio
shows, but I haven't done this in years.

I'm trying to capture the incoming stream from the radio with Darkice so
I can send it to IceCast2 as an Ogg stream (and where it'll eventually
be picked up by Slimserver so I can pipe it through my wifi music
system).

In my config I am pointing to /dev/dsp, but I don't think that's
actually in use. It could be, but everything else with IceCast and
Darkice is working and I'm getting no sound from the stream and suspect
I'm reading from the wrong device.

What can I use to find out which sound device file I need to be reading
the audio output from?

Thanks!

Hal

Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> In my config I am pointing to /dev/dsp, but I don't think that's
> actually in use. It could be, but everything else with IceCast and

I'm not familiar with blackice, so I don't know how relevant this is
to your situation, but when I was actively recording radio shows I
used sox directly to record the incoming stream in real-time. While
this works, and can encode to ogg or other formats on the fly, there
are some issues with it. For instance, if you have a microphone and
don't set the mixer settings right, you can end up with undesirable
background noise from the microphone mixed in to the recording, and if
the mixer settings are also not set right, you may introduce
distortion in the result because levels were set too high.

Also, this type of ogg on the fly streaming / encoding is II think)
still limited to 128 kbps rates, and you might require higher
bandwidth.

I later switched methods for this type of thing, and used mplayer to
dump the audio on the fly. But I had to wait until the program was
over before I could really make use of it (e.g., open up the resulting
file in audacity, do some basic edits and such, then burn the
resulting file to a CD).

One of the commands I used to use was:

#! /bin/sh
sox -V -c2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp $1.ogg

I don't see why you'd use a different device than /dev/dsp for this.