-   -   What is the apt cache good for? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/75523-what-apt-cache-good.html)

Hendrik Boom 04-24-2008 05:34 PM

What is the apt cache good for?

I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.

I can get more back by apt-get clean.

This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's
output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.

Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.

But do I actually need any of these files? Or are they only needed while
I'm actually busy installing stuff? After those packages have been
installed, are the corresponding files in the cache good for anything at
all? Perhaps for deleting the packages later?

(By the way, I use aptitude)

-- hendrik

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-24-2008 05:44 PM

Hendrik Boom wrote:

I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.

I can get more back by apt-get clean.

This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's
output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.

Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.

But do I actually need any of these files? Or are they only needed while
I'm actually busy installing stuff? After those packages have been
installed, are the corresponding files in the cache good for anything at
all? Perhaps for deleting the packages later?

(By the way, I use aptitude)

-- hendrik

It is good for re-installing the package with out having to download it
again. Also good for sneaker net to another box. Apt keeps it around
in the even of issues stopping the install/upgrade. You can make
repairs and resume (apt-get -f install or dpkg --force-overwrite foo for
example).

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Sharninder 04-24-2008 06:22 PM

What is the apt cache good for?

I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.

I can get more back by apt-get clean.

This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's
output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk
space.

Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.

But do I actually need any of these files?

If you are sure you will not be installing the same package again on
this or another system, you can probably remove those files. Doesn't
look like they are of any use to you.

Kevin Mark 04-24-2008 09:53 PM

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 05:34:59PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.
>
> I can get more back by apt-get clean.
>
> This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's
> output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.
>
> Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.
>
> But do I actually need any of these files? Or are they only needed while
> I'm actually busy installing stuff? After those packages have been
> installed, are the corresponding files in the cache good for anything at
> all? Perhaps for deleting the packages later?

When you apt-get or aptitude something, it does this:
-download DEB file to /var/cache/apt/archive
-runs dpkg on the DEB file in /var/cache/apt/archive

if you need to reinstall a package, /var/cache/apt/archive is searched
first, to avoid re-downloading the file.

All the files needed for removing/purging/etc. the package are placed in
/var/lib/dpkg/info. So the DEB is not used.
hope that explains,
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|
| `. `' Operating System | go to counter.li.org and |
| `- http://www.debian.org/ | be counted! #238656 |
| my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net | my NPO: cfsg.org |
|join the new debian-community.org to help Debian! |
|_______ Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|

Daniel Burrows 04-26-2008 01:32 AM

What is the apt cache good for?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 05:34:59PM +0000, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
> I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.
>
> I can get more back by apt-get clean.
>
> This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's
> output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.
>
> Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.
>
> But do I actually need any of these files? Or are they only needed while
> I'm actually busy installing stuff? After those packages have been
> installed, are the corresponding files in the cache good for anything at
> all? Perhaps for deleting the packages later?
>
> (By the way, I use aptitude)

Most of that space is stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. The rest of
/var/cache/apt can be deleted but it'll be recreated next time you run
apt; it's a binary cache of data that's used to speed apt up.

I think it's mostly a holdover from when Internet connections were
much slower than they are today. apt keeps all the .debs it downloads
in /var/cache/apt/archives, so that if you decide to remove some
software and then want to re-install it later, you don't have to
download it a second time. It's useful for some purposes (e.g., you can
copy those files to another machine rather than downloading them twice),
but it also tends to clog people's /var partitions.

You can delete all the downloaded .deb files by running "aptitude clean".

Daniel

Hendrik Boom 04-28-2008 04:14 PM

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:23 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> Most of that space is stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. The rest of
> /var/cache/apt can be deleted but it'll be recreated next time you run
> apt; it's a binary cache of data that's used to speed apt up.
>
> I think it's mostly a holdover from when Internet connections were
> much slower than they are today. apt keeps all the .debs it downloads
> in /var/cache/apt/archives, so that if you decide to remove some
> software and then want to re-install it later, you don't have to
> download it a second time. It's useful for some purposes (e.g., you can
> copy those files to another machine rather than downloading them twice),
> but it also tends to clog people's /var partitions.

It sure clogged mine. Lots of space, now.

> You can delete all the downloaded .deb files by running "aptitude clean".

I didn't know aptitude had that option. Is there any difference
between it and "apt-get clean"?

Daniel Burrows 05-10-2008 05:18 AM

What is the apt cache good for?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:14:28PM +0000, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:32:23 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > You can delete all the downloaded .deb files by running "aptitude clean".
>
> I didn't know aptitude had that option. Is there any difference
> between it and "apt-get clean"?

No.

Daniel