Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
"Oleksii.Dzhulai"

Default Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

The best way to copy whole partition is when it is offline (not used)
Boot both laptops from live-cd's (for example knoppix) and do like
described in this article
dd if=/dev/hda1|nc 192.168.1.1 2222 - on sending laptop
nc -l -p 2222|dd of=/dev/hda1 - on receiving one

If it seems difficult then you can use tools like "ghost or partition
magic" they have network support also.

--
http://unixinmind.com