Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Micha

Default Backing up an entire hard drive

I need to wipe my hardrive for some repair and I want to back it up. I would
prefer to just backup the debian partition and not the entire harddrive. Is it
possible to do either with dd? seems like it should work for the entire drive,
would it work for a single partition if I restore previous partition sizes?

How do I backup my active drive/root partition? do I need a live cd or is it
possible to do from a running system?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 03:02:31PM +0300, Micha wrote:
> I need to wipe my hardrive for some repair and I want to back it up. I would
> prefer to just backup the debian partition and not the entire harddrive. Is it
> possible to do either with dd?

yes to both

> seems like it should work for the entire drive,
> would it work for a single partition if I restore previous partition sizes?

yes. A backup of the mbr and the parition table is possible with
dd if=/dev/hda of=$FILE bs=512 count=1

> How do I backup my active drive/root partition? do I need a live cd or is it
> possible to do from a running system?

when the mounted partitions are mounted read only it is reasonably
possible.

It is possible to do a dd even of a read-write mounted partition, but
the probability of a corrupted copied filesystem (i.e. one which does
not suvive well to a fsck) is hight (only when there is really NO write
activity there is reasonable hope that a fsck will restore the copied
filesystem in the wanted state)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Paul Johnson

On Thursday 24 April 2008 05:02:31 am Micha wrote:
> I need to wipe my hardrive for some repair and I want to back it up. I
> would prefer to just backup the debian partition and not the entire
> harddrive. Is it possible to do either with dd?

Yes, but it's not particularly flexible compared to other options.

> seems like it should work
> for the entire drive, would it work for a single partition if I restore
> previous partition sizes?

Yes, that's the limitation.

> How do I backup my active drive/root partition? do I need a live cd or is
> it possible to do from a running system?

The Hard Disk Upgrade HOWTO covers this for the most part, although regular
backups should be part of your game plan. Faubackup is a great package for
that.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Micha wrote:

I need to wipe my hardrive for some repair and I want to back it up. I would
prefer to just backup the debian partition and not the entire harddrive. Is it
possible to do either with dd? seems like it should work for the entire drive,
would it work for a single partition if I restore previous partition sizes?

How do I backup my active drive/root partition? do I need a live cd or is it
possible to do from a running system?

Thanks

Look into the clonezilla live-cd. It does exactly what you describe.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi