-   -   Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/75428-copying-complete-root-parition-over-network-cable-new-install.html)

Micha 04-24-2008 11:59 AM

Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

I need to install debian for a friend of mine that got new machine. Apart for
the network card driver (which is actually a relative of mine) and the graphics
card which is intel instead of nvidia the install should be about the same.

I thought to save some headache and just copy over the whole linux partition
and just fix up the small tidbits (network driver, graphic driver and fstab).

Since these are two laptops, moving the hardrive over won't work so I need to
do it over the network. What would be the best way to do this? Should I boot
the new laptop with ubuntu or something or do a base debian install? Is there a
better way, and how do I make sure that the permissions and owners don't change
and that /proc, /sys, /dev etc. are not copied?

Thanks

Pol Hallen 04-24-2008 03:52 PM

Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

> I thought to save some headache and just copy over the whole linux
> partition and just fix up the small tidbits (network driver, graphic driver
> and fstab).
U can use: the debian live cd and dd command or systemrescuecd, knoppix, etc.

Pol

NN_il_Confusionario 04-24-2008 04:11 PM

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:59:37PM +0300, Micha wrote:
> Since these are two laptops, moving the hardrive over won't work so I need to
> do it over the network. What would be the best way to do this? Should I boot
> the new laptop with ubuntu or something or do a base debian install?

you can boot the other laptop with a live cd which has sshd and rsync

Then partition the disk, create the filesystems (and the swap partition,
if any), mount them in the correct place. Say, the / partition is
mounted in /mnt the the home partition in /mnt/home and so on.

Then configure sshd to accept connections as root from your laptop.

> Is there a
> better way, and how do I make sure that the permissions and owners don't change
> and that /proc, /sys, /dev etc. are not copied?

As root on your laptop:

rsync -e ssh -vaczISH --stats --numeric-ids -x / root@$IP-OF-THE-OTHER-LAPTOP:/mnt/

rsync -e ssh -vaczISH --stats --numeric-ids -x /home/ root@$IP-OF-THE-OTHER-LAPTOP:/mnt/home/

and so on

Ron Johnson 04-24-2008 04:13 PM

Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

"Javier Barroso" 04-24-2008 08:20 PM

Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Oleksii.Dzhulai <nixlike@gmail.com> wrote:

The best way to copy whole partition is when it is offline (not used)

Boot both laptops from live-cd's (for example knoppix) and do like

described in this article

dd if=/dev/hda1|nc 192.168.1.1 2222 - on sending laptop

nc -l -p 2222|dd of=/dev/hda1 - on receiving one
Anybody* played with dd / cat* speed.

which count and bs parameters should be the best ?

We currently do:
cat /dev/hda | nc ....