Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Default How to refresh Debian to install software set

Greetings;

I have four Debian systems and a couple of them seem to
have gotten in the state that they don't have a full
set of packages for some reason.

Is there any way to do a refresh or reinstall of the
system to make sure everything is there? Short of an
install from the beginning that is!! I can figure that
one out with no help. ;-)

Many TIA!
Dennis

Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

I have four Debian systems and a couple of them seem to have gotten in
the state that they don't have a full set of packages for some reason.

Is there any way to do a refresh or reinstall of the system to make
sure everything is there? Short of an install from the beginning that
is!! I can figure that one out with no help. ;-)

Many TIA!
Dennis

Dennis,

One way it to get on a "good" system and do: dpkg --get-selections
>complete_good_package_backup.txt

Move that file over to a "bad" system and: dpkg --set-selections
<complete_good_package_backup.txt

followed by apt-get dselect-upgrade

your "bad" system will now install all the packages your "good" system
has listed. This is also a way to "clone" a load out (that and copy
/etc, /var, and any data). I do not think it will remove any pacakges
"bad" has that "good" does not unless it conflicts with the upgrade (but
I have not tried it, so am not sure).

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Damon L. Chesser wrote the following on 04/24/2008
08:09 AM:

Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

I have four Debian systems and a couple of them seem to have gotten in
the state that they don't have a full set of packages for some reason.

Is there any way to do a refresh or reinstall of the system to make
sure everything is there? Short of an install from the beginning that
is!! I can figure that one out with no help. ;-)

Many TIA!
Dennis

Dennis,

One way it to get on a "good" system and do: dpkg --get-selections
>complete_good_package_backup.txt

Move that file over to a "bad" system and: dpkg --set-selections
<complete_good_package_backup.txt

followed by apt-get dselect-upgrade

your "bad" system will now install all the packages your "good" system
has listed. This is also a way to "clone" a load out (that and copy
/etc, /var, and any data). I do not think it will remove any pacakges
"bad" has that "good" does not unless it conflicts with the upgrade (but
I have not tried it, so am not sure).

Thanks, Damon, I'll think about that method.

The problem is that I don't know if I have a system
that qualifies as a "good" system right now! :-(

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM
"Mumia W.."