-   -   Force process to swap? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/75185-force-process-swap.html)

Rich Healey 04-24-2008 06:34 AM

Force process to swap?

Ron Johnson 04-24-2008 02:09 PM

Force process to swap?

Hugo Vanwoerkom 04-24-2008 03:09 PM

Force process to swap?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 04/24/08 01:34, Rich Healey wrote:

Is there a way to tell kswapd that i wan't a particular process to get
shoved into swap?

I run a torrent client 24/7 (in many ways it would just be easier to
mirror a whole bunch of distro iso's, but oh well)..

Anyway, it tends to consume between 30 and 50% of my system's physical
memory, which wouldn't matter, except that it tends to push firefoxen
into swap, while nearly always staying in memory itself.

I can probably alter the torrent clients settings a bit to reign it in,
but honestly, the disk with my swap partition is pretty quick, and i
would think totally adequate to let it download/upload files from.

Is there some way of forcing this?

If your torrent client is staying in memory, but FF is being pushed
out, that means that -- since the swapper keeps what is needed *now*
and swaps what isn't needed -- that the torrent client is
continually doing more work than FF.

An improvement to swapping:

http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/SwapPrefetch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

Hugo

Ron Johnson 04-24-2008 04:06 PM

Force process to swap?

"Douglas A. Tutty" 04-30-2008 03:04 AM

Force process to swap?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:06:25AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/24/08 10:09, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 04/24/08 01:34, Rich Healey wrote:
>
> > An improvement to swapping:
> >
> > http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/SwapPrefetch
>
> Is this in the mainline?
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
>
> I use "swap" in the generic sense, but really mean "page". Does
> Linux even *do* process swapping?

I've never seen Linux swap out idle processes.

Doug.

Ron Johnson 04-30-2008 03:28 AM

Force process to swap?

"Douglas A. Tutty" 04-30-2008 02:40 PM

Force process to swap?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:28:53PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/29/08 22:04, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >> I use "swap" in the generic sense, but really mean "page". Does
> >> Linux even *do* process swapping?
> >
> > I've never seen Linux swap out idle processes.
>
> I'm surprised. Seems to me that an idle process and it's allocated
> memory would be the *perfect* candidates to be swapped out. And
> anthropomorphized vm systems might say, "I need RAM, and you're
> 5,000 pages are the least recently used, so I'll just push you on
> out to disk to make room for actively used data."

Sure it would make sense; other Unix's do, but I've never seen Linux
swap out, e.g. idle gettys or bash, or even idle exim4s (which would
make sense for a dial-up box that only uses exim during daily email
checks and cron runs).

Doug.

Ron Johnson 04-30-2008 03:01 PM

Force process to swap?