Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Help using my new scanner

Actually I have a new Epson Stylus CX7400 All-In-One. I've got it
working as a printer just fine through CUPS and Gutenprint. It prints
photos great on plain paper. I can't wait to see what it does on photo
paper.

It copies fine at the touch of a button.

Scanning does not yet work at all.

I have read that scanning should "Just Work" using sane and the epson
back end. I have installed sane and xsane. When I try to use scanimage
it says that no scanner was found and I should try 'sane-find-scanner.'
When I do this I get:

$ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that

# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
# Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
# If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0838) at libusb:004:002
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

What do I do with the vendor# and product ID? The numbers match what I
get from 'cat /proc/usb/devices', but I don't know what to do with them.

If I look through /dev I do not see any scanner devices. I have libusb
and am running Etch, with udev, so I should not have to make the node
manually. Yes, the device is hooked up and turned on. I made the
device manually with 'mknode 180, 48' so I now have /dev/usb/scanner0,
and I still get the same results. I changed the node's group to scanner
and the group permissions to rw. I added myself to the scanner group,
then logged out and logged back in. No difference.

I have read the HOWTO and looked through the tutorial at
www.sane-project.org. The 'supported scanners page' says that it should
use the epson backend and work 'good.'

What am I doing wrong? It would be real nice to have a working scanner.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 24 April 2008 07:12:51 Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Actually I have a new Epson Stylus CX7400 All-In-One. > Scanning does not
yet work at all.

> # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
> # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
> # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>

> # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
> # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
> # necessary.
>
> Marc Shapiro
> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Are you in scanner group?