Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
sadia jameel

Default help required

hello dear My name is sadia and i am student of MS(computer science).
i want some information relating to bug #436681 that has been fixed now. * i am interesting in it and want to know* these following questionsabout it: 1- in which subpackage of "backuppc" this bug was present?
2- what was the reason of this password publicaly visible?
3-in which part of the code u have made changing* inorder to fix this bug?
4-what was the major changing that u have to do to resolve this bug?
please tell me the answers of these above questions
i shall be very very thankful to u. bye sadia

Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food. Get all this and more on Best of Yahoo! Groups.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 AM
"Mumia W.."

My name is sadia and i am student of MS(computer science).
i want some information relating to bug #436681 that has been fixed now.

i am interesting in it and want to know these following questionsabout it:

1- in which subpackage of "backuppc" this bug was present?
2- what was the reason of this password publicaly visible?
3-in which part of the code u have made changing inorder to fix this bug?
4-what was the major changing that u have to do to resolve this bug?

please tell me the answers of these above questions

i shall be very very thankful to u.
bye
sadia

This sounds like homework to me; however, the information you're looking
for is most probably in the source to backuppc. Get the source from Sid,
and you'll have the ChangeLog file which should help you answer those
questions.

Did you look at the comments for
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436681 ?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
"fabian dacunha"

Dear ALl,

I have the following live setup .
Centos 5.1 running as a Mail and DNS server with the following software

Sendmail ver
MailScanner ver
squirrel mail
clam av
spamassassin
mailwatch

we have about 250 mail users all with no shell and every thing is working
perfectly fine

now i wd like to know the following .

1) if i have a copy of my /etc/passwd file and the /etc/skel/shadow file
and if my current HDD crashes ..
now if i make a new centos server with all the above software and jus copy
the password n shadow file in the right directories will all the users
able to login into the system as before.
or is anything more required to be done.
To explain more clearly if my current hdd crashes i can get up a new
centos machine but creating all the 250 + users wd be a big problem
specially the passwords.

2) i would like to also know about MX records

i mean DNS server having MX with same priority n MX with different priority

i right now have a primary n secondary mail server that is dns server with
different MX records and its workin fine

if i have 2 servers with same MX priority do i need to create the smae
users on both my centos servers so tht if one server fails othe one is
operational . i do presume the above is corect or is there any other way

apprecite your help

regards

Fabian

believed to be clean.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Fabian Arrotin

fabian dacunha wrote:

Dear ALl,

<snip>
1) if i have a copy of my /etc/passwd file and the /etc/skel/shadow file
and if my current HDD crashes ..

yes, you just need the /etc/passwd , /etc/shadow , /etc/group and
/etc/gshadow for the local auth
Of course, in case of setting up a new box and integrating user
accounts, i'd prefer doing some cleaning in those files before importing
them (through vipw for for the passwd file) : i mean remove the system
accounts first

2) i would like to also know about MX records

i mean DNS server having MX with same priority n MX with different priority

i right now have a primary n secondary mail server that is dns server with
different MX records and its workin fine

if i have 2 servers with same MX priority do i need to create the smae
users on both my centos servers so tht if one server fails othe one is
operational . i do presume the above is corect or is there any other way

It depends : you can for example just have the second MX record doing
queue only for your domain and then deliver to the primary MX when he's
back online ... otherwise if you deliver mail locally on your secondary
MX server, that means two mail storages (and not in sync ....)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-16-2008 2:03 PM fabian dacunha spake the following:
> Dear ALl,
>
> I have the following live setup .
> Centos 5.1 running as a Mail and DNS server with the following software
>
> Sendmail ver
> MailScanner ver
> squirrel mail
> clam av
> spamassassin
> mailwatch
>
> we have about 250 mail users all with no shell and every thing is working
> perfectly fine
>
> now i wd like to know the following .
>
> 1) if i have a copy of my /etc/passwd file and the /etc/skel/shadow file
> and if my current HDD crashes ..
> now if i make a new centos server with all the above software and jus copy
> the password n shadow file in the right directories will all the users
> able to login into the system as before.
> or is anything more required to be done.
> To explain more clearly if my current hdd crashes i can get up a new
> centos machine but creating all the 250 + users wd be a big problem
> specially the passwords.
It would also depend on how you backed up the system. In absence of a valid
passwd file, the files only have UID and GID numbers to identify them. If you
preserve this info in your backups, and also your passwd, shadow, group, and
gshadow files, you could hobble something together. But there are many other
things you need backed up.

> 2) i would like to also know about MX records
>
> i mean DNS server having MX with same priority n MX with different priority
>
> i right now have a primary n secondary mail server that is dns server with
> different MX records and its workin fine
>
> if i have 2 servers with same MX priority do i need to create the same
> users on both my centos servers so tht if one server fails othe one is
> operational . i do presume the above is correct or is there any other way

You usually have your backup MX just hold the mail and forward it to the
primary when it comes back up. To have a second server become operational if
the first fails is not just about backups, it is about HA (high availability).
There is more info on HA on the Linux HA website
http://www.linux-ha.org/

> apprecite your help

No worries!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
John Hinton

Scott Silva wrote:

2) i would like to also know about MX records

i mean DNS server having MX with same priority n MX with different priority

i right now have a primary n secondary mail server that is dns server with
different MX records and its workin fine

if i have 2 servers with same MX priority do i need to create the same
users on both my centos servers so tht if one server fails othe one is
operational . i do presume the above is correct or is there any other way

You usually have your backup MX just hold the mail and forward it to the
primary when it comes back up. To have a second server become operational if
the first fails is not just about backups, it is about HA (high availability).
There is more info on HA on the Linux HA website
http://www.linux-ha.org/

There's a nice milter for sendmail called milter-ahead. This works great
on a backup mailserver as it will look 'ahead' to the primary and if it
is up, it will not accept the email. This might sound silly at first,
but if you don't do it this way, you'll find a huge queue of spam to
nonexistant users on the backup server which can't be returned to the
bad addresses spammers use... or you wind up bouncing spam to those that
did not send it... a horrid situation.

I'm not understanding your using the same MX priority settings, as there
is not really a default server. Mail winds up split between both places
instead of hitting the primary first. Spammers however will find your
backup server and send directly to it, in order to try to circumvent
rejects from the primary and create bounces out of the secondary. This
situation is almost as bad as having an open relay. You can land
yourself on a lot of blacklists quickly and become a part of the spam
problem easily.

If you do wish to have two equally accessible mailservers, users will
need to be replicated. Clustering or something like Xen could be a
better option.

Best,
John Hinton

Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
"Brett Serkez"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:51 PM, John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> If you do wish to have two equally accessible mailservers, users will need
> to be replicated.

I was thinking LDAP would be better than raw passwd files. LDAP can
be configured on the secondary mail server to keep users in sync with
the primary for instant availability.

Brett

Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Pallav Jain

I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11. and did the basic tasks from:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/

As a new user, I had some problem:

"While going at:

How to disable all interactive editing control for GRUB menu at:
http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_inter active_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu

my /boot/grub/menu.lst contents are as follows:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#

# NOTICE:* You have a /boot partition.* This means that
#********* all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/,
eg.
#********* root (hd0,7)
#********* kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
#********* initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=9
splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586)
*** root (hd0,7)
*** kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rhgb quiet
*** initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586.img
title WinXP

*** rootnoverify (hd0,0)
*** chainloader +1

which
is as if, I am opening grub.conf, amazing. I don't know why it is happening. I
request you to please let me know how to make it come or repaste from
somewhere in FC11.

Other details are as follows:

OS: FC11, WinXP also (2nd preference in booting)
Root login: enabled via editing "/etc/pam.d/gdm" & "/etc/pam.d/gdm-password"files.

For any other software, (like, e.g., VLC) if I try to install, installing via user account and switching to root in the terminal.

But as listed at the url:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_inter active_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu

Nowhere are being seen the following contents:

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the

# command 'lock'

which should be in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'

Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Pallav Jain wrote:
> I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11.

Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Install Fedora 13.

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 9 June 2010 17:51, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Pallav Jain wrote:
>> I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11.
>
> Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Install Fedora 13.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

You are a bit hasty:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases

Fedora 11 is not technically EOL until 5th June 2010

--
Sam