Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Sam Sharpe

Default Help required

On 9 June 2010 19:19, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@samsharpe.net> wrote:
> Fedora 11 is not technically EOL until 5th June 2010

Fat fingers - that should say 25th June 2010

--
Sam

Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/09/2010 12:51 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Pallav Jain wrote:
>> I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11.
>
> Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Install Fedora 13.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

That's not exactly true. Fedora 11 remains supported until June 25, 2010.

That said, it is strongly advised, Pallev, to upgrade before updates cease.

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> That's not exactly true. Fedora 11 remains supported until June 25, 2010.

The "support" is not of the same level that Fedora 12 or 13 will
receive, so saying it is "supported" is not technically the truth either.

This is not the thread to discuss this topic, so this will be my last
email on this.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
stan

See comments below

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:13:15 +0530
Pallav Jain <b330bkn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11. and did
> the basic tasks from:
>
> http://www.fedoraguide.info/

I'd never seen this page before. Thanks for the link. ;-)

> As a new user, I had some problem:
>
> "While going at:
> How to disable all interactive editing control for GRUB menu at:
> http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_inter active_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu
> my /boot/grub/menu.lst contents are as follows:
>
> ************************************************** *******
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
> this file # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> # root (hd0,7)
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro
> root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root #
> initrd /initrd-version.img #boot=/dev/sda
> default=1
> timeout=9
> splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586)
> root (hd0,7)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 ro
> root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586.img
> title WinXP
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> ************************************************** *******
>
> which is as if, I am opening grub.conf, amazing. I don't know why it
> is happening. I request you to please let me know how to make it come
> or repaste from somewhere in FC11.

/boot/grub/menu.lst is a symbolic link to the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
in the same directory. As is /etc/grub.conf. There is no problem here.
See man ln for some explanation.

[snip]

> But as listed at the url:
>
> http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_inter active_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu
>
> Nowhere are being seen the following contents:
>
> ## password ['--md5'] passwd
> # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all
> interactive editing # control (menu entry editor and command-line)
> and entries protected by the # command 'lock'
>
> which should be in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'

I suspect that the documentation is out of date. I don't use
encryption, but I don't recall ever seeing those lines in a menu.lst
file that I was editing. You can try just adding them into the file.
In that file a hash mark, '#', in front of a line means that the line
is a comment. The instructions at the above link seemed pretty clear
about the procedure. If something is missing, just add it while
editing, though you don't have to add comments as they are ignored
anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
"Dale J. Chatham"

And, today would be?

On 06/09/2010 01:19 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> On 9 June 2010 17:51, Michael Cronenworth<mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
>
>> Pallav Jain wrote:
>>
>>> I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11.
>>>
>> Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Install Fedora 13.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
>>
> You are a bit hasty:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases
>
> Fedora 11 is not technically EOL until 5th June 2010

--
Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution.
Let us not make it a blank paper by construction."

--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Wilson Nicholas, 1803

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 9 June 2010 20:30, Dale J. Chatham <dale@chatham.org> wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 01:19 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>> Fedora 11 is not technically EOL until 5th June 2010

> And, today would be?

Today would be the day where I corrected this to 25th June in a
subsequent email sent about 1 minute later.

--
Sam

Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 22:13 +0530, Pallav Jain wrote:
> But as listed at the url:
>
> http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_inter active_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu
>
> Nowhere are being seen the following contents:
>
> ## password ['--md5'] passwd
> # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
> # control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
> # command 'lock'
>
> which should be in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'

As has been mentioned before, "/etc/grub.conf" "/boot/grub/grub.conf"
and "/boot/grub/menu.lst" are all the same thing. One is the actual
file, the others are links to it. You can work on any of them, it works
the same.

If you're trying to put an encrypted password into GRUB, so that only an
authorised person can do something with it, then follow the steps on the
page, carefully.

Open a shell, switch to being the root user by using the "su -" command,
type in the root user password, and hit enter. You'll need to be root
to use grub.

Type in the "grub" command, and hit enter. Now you're in the grub
shell, instead of the bash shell. The commands you type, from now on,
are grub commands.

Type in the "md5crypt" command, and hit enter. Now you type in the
password that you want to use, and hit enter. It'll spit back a string
of characters that is the encrypted version of your password. It's this
string of characters you'll put into your grub.conf file. Don't use the
string of characters that the web page shows as an example.

In your grub.conf file, before the first title sections, you'll put in
the password next to the "password --md5" instruction, like I've done
below. The "--md5" bit of the command line details the type of
encryption that was used with the password.

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

password --md5 $1vcvbhnjmk,l;;lbvcdC.

title Fedora

Now, with that in place, only someone who knows the password can press
the "e" key in the grub boot screen to temporarily change how the
computer will boot. All they can do is pick from the choices in the
menu. If they attempt to use the "e" (edit) function, they'll be asked
to type in the password.

On top of that, if you wish to lock out some of the menu choices, so
that only someone with the password can use them, then simply put the
"lock" instruction directly under the title line. Like this:

title Boot from floppy disk drive
lock
rootnoverify (fd0)
chainloader +1

And then.... if you want different passwords for different menu items,
put the password line within the different title sections of the
grub.conf file, instead of having one password line above all of them.

title WinXP
password --md5 $1iuyfd56tghjhgC.
lock
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Boot from floppy disk drive
password --md5 $1vcvbhnjmk,l;;lbvcdC.
lock
rootnoverify (fd0)
chainloader +1

If you're going to lock up the booting choices to stop people fiddling
with your PC, then you'll also want to change the BIOS settings, so that
someone can't simply boot from a CD or floppy, and bypass your grub.

Go into your BIOS, change the boot options so that your hard drive is
the only device that can be booted from, set a password on the BIOS,
save the settings and exit.

Now someone who wants to mess with your computer will have to open up
the case and yank out the drive or the BIOS clock battery, or reset the
BIOS. That's going to be difficult to do without someone seeing them do
it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Pallav Jain

your welcome for you like the link.* as you say if i appended those lines at the end of the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, it would have any other impact except that what is given though the contents are not those which were are written in that link, still it is safe to append that at the end of the file. editing for that particular file (menu.lst) from my side is only to add those lines which are written to add in that file after searching for a particular string of characters, which is as follows:

## password ['--md5'] passwd
*
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all
*
interactive editing # control (menu entry editor and command-line)
*
and entries protected by the # command 'lock'
*
which was not there in the case of my menu.lst file, even though should i go? people say abt its EOL, but solving the problem is good even though it has not reached EOL.

thx

Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Pallav Jain

thx for the method you give. but my simple doubt is that:

if i append those extra lines at the end of the file /boot/grub/menu.lst , is it okay even if the contents of that file (menu.lst) are not those as written on the website, which says to append only after searching the string:

## password ['--md5'] passwd
*
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all
interactive editing
*
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries
protected by the
*
# command 'lock'

which is not the case for my menu.lst file, as these contents are missing there so even then i go for that one also?
thx

> [...]

* *rootnoverify (hd0,0)

* *chainloader +1

*title Boot from floppy disk drive

* *password --md5 $1vcvbhnjmk,l;;lbvcdC.

* *lock

* *rootnoverify (fd0)

* *chainloader +1

If you're going to lock up the booting choices to stop people fiddling

with your PC, then you'll also want to change the BIOS settings, so that

someone can't simply boot from a CD or floppy, and bypass your grub.

Go into your BIOS, change the boot options so that your hard drive is

the only device that can be booted from, set a password on the BIOS,

save the settings and exit.

Now someone who wants to mess with your computer will have to open up

the case and yank out the drive or the BIOS clock battery, or reset the

BIOS. *That's going to be difficult to do without someone seeing them do

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
stan

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:21:59 +0530
Pallav Jain <b330bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> ## password ['--md5'] passwd
> # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all
> # interactive editing
> # control (menu entry editor and command-line)
> # and entries protected by the
> # command 'lock'
>
> which was not there in the case of my menu.lst file, even though
> should i go? people say abt its EOL, but solving the problem is good
> even though it has not reached EOL.

Yes, go for it. Tim gave you good instructions. And the
procedure will probably work on any future install you do as well (for
grub1), so you are learning something useful.

It might be helpful for you to read info (or pinfo if you have it
installed) for grub. Pinfo is dumber but easier than info (unless you
are emacs familiar).

info grub
pinfo grub

While you are experimenting, you might want to leave a stanza in
menu.lst that will boot without protection so you can recover from
mistakes.