Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Oliver

Default Kernel sources for Debian kernel 2.6.18-6-686

I just installed Debian with a netinstall CD.

uname -r tells me that I am using the kernel 2.6.18-6-686.
Now I am installing a driver (Diva for Linux) and this driver needs
the kernel sources to compile a .deb package.

(Instructions on page 17 of this document:
http://www.dialogic.com/download/p/linux/source.8.5/108-80/Diva_SR_LIN_ReferenceGuide.pdf)

I really do not know where to find the sources for this kernel
version, as it is a customized Debian kernel.
If you can not help, I need to download the newest kernel from
Kernel.org and recompile?

Thank you for you help

Oliver

Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
"Owen Townend"

I just installed Debian with a netinstall CD.

uname -r tells me that I am using the kernel 2.6.18-6-686.
Now I am installing a driver (Diva for Linux) and this driver needs
the kernel sources to compile a .deb package.

(Instructions on page 17 of this document:
http://www.dialogic.com/download/p/linux/source.8.5/108-80/Diva_SR_LIN_ReferenceGuide.pdf)

I really do not know where to find the sources for this kernel
version, as it is a customized Debian kernel.
If you can not help, I need to download the newest kernel from
Kernel.org and recompile?

Thank you for you help

Oliver
Hey,
**You most likely only need the header files. Try:
**#*apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

**If*it*insists*on*the*full*kernel*source*then*the re*are*linux-source packages

**# apt-cache search linux-source

**Hope this helps.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
"Digby Tarvin"

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:30:27AM -0700, Oliver wrote:
> I just installed Debian with a netinstall CD.
>
> uname -r tells me that I am using the kernel 2.6.18-6-686.
> Now I am installing a driver (Diva for Linux) and this driver needs
> the kernel sources to compile a .deb package.
>
> (Instructions on page 17 of this document:
> http://www.dialogic.com/download/p/linux/source.8.5/108-80/Diva_SR_LIN_Referen
ceGuide.pdf)

> I really do not know where to find the sources for this kernel
> version, as it is a customized Debian kernel.
> If you can not help, I need to download the newest kernel from
> Kernel.org and recompile?
>
> Thank you for you help
>
> Oliver

What do you mean by a customised kernel? Where did you get it from?
If you just mean it is a distribution debian kernel and hence different
from the vanila kernel.org version, then
apt-get install linux-source-2.6.18
and untaring the resultant archive should give you what you want.

For more details, see the thread 'Kernel source packages..' from where I
was working out how to reproduce my kernel from source.

Regards,
DigbyT