Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Fabrizio Lippolis

Default switch from LILO to grub failed

Title: Auriga s.p.a.

I have switched the boot manager from LILO to grub, I have purged the
lilo package and installed the grub package. Moreover I have run the
command

grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0p1

I know I was wrong, and actually the machine no longer boots. When I
try to boot from the disk I see an error like this:

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
99 ...

I have managed to boot from SysRescCd because the installation cd
doesn't recognize the disk, mounted the root partition in a directory
/mydir, it contains the boot directory too. Then I have run

grub-install --root-directory=/mydir /dev/cciss/c0d0

to install in the MBR. Seems that grub gets installed but the machine
still doesn't boot from disk, I get the same error as before. Any help
please?

Fabrizio Lippolis

phone +39.080.56.92.291

e-mail fabrizio.lippolis@aurigaspa.com

Auriga SpA - Strada Vassallo, 1 - 70125
Bari - IT

Phone +39.080.56.92.111 -
Fax +39.080.56.92.112

www.aurigaspa.com – info@aurigaspa.com

Ai sensi del D.Lgs.
196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio
sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il presente
messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
senza copiarlo e inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente
comunicazione. Grazie.

Pursuant to Legislative
Decree No. 196/2003, you are hereby informed that this message contains
confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. If
you are not the addressee, and have received this message by mistake,
please delete it and immediately notify us. You may not copy or
disseminate this message to anyone. Thank you.