Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default emacs sarge surprise!

Check this out, I downgrade to sarge which was the highest form of sarge
before everything moved along into etch and later lenny. The aptitude
package was uninstalled and so I try repeating that operation where
bsdgames and emacs21 get installed together. Emacs21 has aptitude as a
dependency and cannot install without aptitude being preinstalled and
happy. If that problem never did get remedied (aptitude required to
install emacs) then there's no point in my taking any of this any further.
For one thing aptitude ought to be a pre-dependency of emacs and apt-get
didn't know about that and let me know either.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
"Adrian Levi"

On 23/04/2008, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Check this out, I downgrade to sarge which was the highest form of sarge
> before everything moved along into etch and later lenny. The aptitude
> package was uninstalled and so I try repeating that operation where bsdgames
> and emacs21 get installed together. Emacs21 has aptitude as a dependency
> and cannot install without aptitude being preinstalled and happy. If that
> problem never did get remedied (aptitude required to install emacs) then
> there's no point in my taking any of this any further. For one thing
> aptitude ought to be a pre-dependency of emacs and apt-get didn't know about
> that and let me know either.

I can't understand why Emacs would depend on one package manager over
another. Unless I'm missing the bleeding obvious.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-04-23 11:53 +0200, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Check this out, I downgrade to sarge which was the highest form of
> sarge before everything moved along into etch and later lenny. The
> aptitude package was uninstalled and so I try repeating that operation
> where bsdgames and emacs21 get installed together. Emacs21 has
> aptitude as a dependency and cannot install without aptitude being
> preinstalled and happy.

Very strange. Given that most users still prefer apt-get over aptitude
for installing packages, I don't see how this could be true.

> If that problem never did get remedied
> (aptitude required to install emacs) then there's no point in my
> taking any of this any further. For one thing aptitude ought to be a
> pre-dependency of emacs and apt-get didn't know about that and let me
> know either.

If aptitude is really required to install emacs21 (which I doubt), then
that's a bug, period. Note that (according to popcon stats) aptitude is
only installed on 98% of all systems, and a few of the remaining might
have emacs21 installed. You can also be assured that I installed
emacs21 on woody long before aptitude.

Sven

Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Emacs21 has aptitude as a dependency and cannot install without
> aptitude being preinstalled and happy.

Unless it's a pre-dependency, you could install both at the same time,
not one before the other.

Run apt-cache emacs21 and show us the results. This will point the
version with the hypotetical dependency and list all dependencies.

--
Nirvana? That's the place where the powers that be and their friends hang out.
-- Zonker Harris

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:53:15AM -0500, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> was heard to say:
> Check this out, I downgrade to sarge which was the highest form of sarge
> before everything moved along into etch and later lenny. The aptitude
> package was uninstalled and so I try repeating that operation where
> bsdgames and emacs21 get installed together. Emacs21 has aptitude as a
> dependency and cannot install without aptitude being preinstalled and
> happy. If that problem never did get remedied (aptitude required to
> install emacs) then there's no point in my taking any of this any
> further. For one thing aptitude ought to be a pre-dependency of emacs and
> apt-get didn't know about that and let me know either.

Huh? emacs doesn't depend on aptitude at all. The strongest
relationship is a Suggests:

daniel@alpaca:~$ aptitude why emacs21 aptitude
i A emacs21 Depends emacs21-bin-common (= 21.4a+1-5.3)
i A emacs21-bin-common Depends emacs21-common (= 21.4a+1-5.3)
i A emacs21-common Depends dpkg (>= 1.9.0)
i A dpkg Suggests apt
i A apt Suggests aptitude | synaptic | gnome-apt | wajig

I don't know what version of Debian you're talking about, but I would
be aghast if any version of Emacs depended on any apt program (the dpkg
dependency is only there because dpkg contains install-info).

Daniel

Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:25:47 +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:

> I can't understand why Emacs would depend on one package manager over
> another. Unless I'm missing the bleeding obvious.

Well, it *is* emacs. Maybe it has an operating mode where it acts as a
front-end to aptitude?

:-0

-- hendrik

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:32:30PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:25:47 +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:
> >
> > I can't understand why Emacs would depend on one package manager over
> > another. Unless I'm missing the bleeding obvious.
>
> Well, it *is* emacs. Maybe it has an operating mode where it acts as a
> front-end to aptitude?

since one needs a package manager to run their operating system... and
how else would they expect to install an editor in that OS?

/me ducks and runs back to my emacs...