Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 AM
David Baron

Default Exim4 Incompatable Command Line Arguments

After yesterday's upgrades (NOT including exim4 packages), I get a failure to
start exim4 running the /etc/init.d/exim4 script.

If I manually run with presumably the same arguments, i.e. exim4 -bd -q30m,
all is well.

Anyone had this problem, fixed it?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Ken Wahl

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:35:59AM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> After yesterday's upgrades (NOT including exim4 packages), I get a failure to
> start exim4 running the /etc/init.d/exim4 script.
>
> If I manually run with presumably the same arguments, i.e. exim4 -bd -q30m,
> all is well.
>
> Anyone had this problem, fixed it?

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=477194
and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=406059

The problem actually appears to be caused by lsb-base. One respondent to
the bug report stated that downgrading lsb-base to 3.2-8 fixed it for
him. I didn't have 3.2-8 in my archive and was too lazy to track it down
so I downgraded to 3.2-7 and was then able to start Exim normally.
--
Ken Wahl

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM
David Baron

On Thursday 24 April 2008 08:41:24 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:35:59AM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > After yesterday's upgrades (NOT including exim4 packages), I get a
> > failure to start exim4 running the /etc/init.d/exim4 script.
> >
> > If I manually run with presumably the same arguments, i.e. exim4 -bd
> > -q30m, all is well.
> >
> > Anyone had this problem, fixed it?
>
> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=477194
> and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=406059
>
> The problem actually appears to be caused by lsb-base. One respondent to
> the bug report stated that downgrading lsb-base to 3.2-8 fixed it for
> him. I didn't have 3.2-8 in my archive and was too lazy to track it down
> so I downgraded to 3.2-7 and was then able to start Exim normally.

OK. But since I can start it from the command line with the normal arguments,
maybe the problem is with the daemon tools packages that are used by the
init.d startup scripts. Then again, most every other daemon is going through
this (including lsb-base?) without a hitch.

Anyway, lsb-base 3.2-8 or -7 from testing?