Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM
"Rafael Fontenelle"

Default Problem to turn DMA on

Hi all.

I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.21.
It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it is not working.

The command I run and its output are:

# hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
*HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?

Thanks,

Rafael

Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
David Baron

> Hi all.
>
> I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.21.
> It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it is
> not working.
>
> The command I run and its output are:
>
> # hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
> *HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rafael

What chipset, particularly the IDE chips, are on that very old network?

You may need to compile the kernel with the appropriate driver rather than the
ide-generic. I had this with a via chipset MB.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:01 PM
"Rafael Fontenelle"

2008/4/23, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il>:
> Hi all.
>
> I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.21.
> It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it is

> not working.
>
>**The command I run and its output are:
>
> # hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
>**HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?

> Thanks,
>
> Rafael

What chipset, particularly the IDE chips, are on that very old network?

You may need to compile the kernel with the appropriate driver rather than the

ide-generic. I had this with a via**chipset MB.

Hi David. thanks the reply and sorry for taking so long to answer.
I'm not very sure if I understand what you mean by 'IDE chips' and therefore I'm not sure how can I find it it my system. Maybe you could explain or inform me the appropriated command...

Not sure if it helps, but my harddisk is a "Toshiba MK4006MAV" and, according to /proc/ide/ide0/hda/driver, it is using the driver ide-disk.

Does this help?

Cheers,

Rafael

Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
David Baron

On Thursday 24 April 2008 20:04:24 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and
> > 2.6.21.
> >
> > It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it
> > is not working.
> >
> >**The command I run and its output are:
> >
> > # hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
> >**HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >
> > Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rafael
>
> What chipset, particularly the IDE chips, are on that very old network?
>
> You may need to compile the kernel with the appropriate driver rather than
> the ide-generic. I had this with a via**chipset MB.
>

> Hi David. thanks the reply and sorry for taking so long to answer.
> I'm not very sure if I understand what you mean by 'IDE chips' and
> therefore I'm not sure how can I find it it my system. Maybe you could
> explain or inform me the appropriated command...
>
> Not sure if it helps, but my harddisk is a "Toshiba MK4006MAV" and,
> according to /proc/ide/ide0/hda/driver, it is using the driver ide-disk.
>
> Does this help?

I also have ide-disk version 1.18. I do not think this is the relevant info.
That directory has all the info on your disk, the model, the cache, etc., and
the fact that it is an IDE rather than a SATA, etc.

Usually, the ide-generic is compiled in the kernel or placed in the initrd.
Some chipsets--the motherboard, not the disk itself--are not entirely
compatible with this river and in most cases, thankfully, Debian has a
version suited to the chipset. If this be your problem, what is happening is
that the incompatible driver loads before the correct module and the rest is
history. So if one compiles the kernel with the correct one (or places this
in the initrd?), then this loads first (or only) and all is well.

So ... what model is your nice old notebook, what chipset is included. This
will give you a clue, hopefully, to solve the problem.

Took me a while to take the plunge and recompile my kernel. I had already
recompiled for lmsensors chipsets so not such a big deal--however, one can
boot and live without the sensors. The IDE is a bit more important :-)

Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:00:14AM -0300, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.21.
> It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it is
> not working.
>
> The command I run and its output are:
>
> # hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?

You could try putting:

dma=on

as a kernel option in your /boot/grub/menu.lst (if you are using grub)

i.e.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791 dma=on

Reboot, then see if it is turned on. hdparm will list the settings.

--
Chris.
======

Old 04-26-2008, 07:04 PM
"Rafael Fontenelle"

2008/4/26 Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:00:14AM -0300, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I got a very old notebook running debian 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.21.
> > It has a 4GB IDE harddisk. I'm trying to enable DMA with hdparm, but it is
> > not working.
> >
> > The command I run and its output are:
> >
> > # hdparm -qc3 -qm16 -qd1 -qX66 -qS120 /dev/hda
> > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >
> > Did someone get this message before or know to solve it?
>
> You could try putting:
>
> dma=on
>
> as a kernel option in your /boot/grub/menu.lst (if you are using grub)
>
> i.e.
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791 dma=on
>
> Reboot, then see if it is turned on. hdparm will list the settings.
>
> --
> Chris.
> ======
> "One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned
> at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed

Thanks for the reply, Chris, but it didn't work. Same error message
was displayed in boot time.

Any other ideas?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 PM
David Baron

OK. Let's get simple first:

Check the bootup options--I mean boot, hit DEL and get the BIOS setups.
There is a "master DMA" somewhere, chipset options? Make sure that is
"enabled".
Then check the installed peripherals or such. There would be a PIO mode and
DMA setting for each IDE device. Make sure the DMAs are "auto". If they are
disabled here, well.... (Choices offered are "disabled" and "auto".)

If all this is OK, then there is the chipset issue I mentioned before. I do
not use an initrd so I had to compile the via ide driver module into the
kernel in place of the ide-generic which was there before. With no initrd,
some things must be compiled in sufficient to open your disks and file
system.

If you use an initrd, then the correct module needs be there. Check the config
file used to make the initrd. Run yaird --test as root can also yield useful
info. I never succeeded in making an initrd with yaird, always had to go back
to the trusty old mkinitrd and its config is in /etc/mikinitrd/mkinitrd.conf
and /etc/mkinitrd/modules. The modules would contain a list which such items
as ext3 for your file system if you use this and it is not compiled into the
kernel. The ide module might need to be there as well. (Having to circumvent
Debian's "new"default yaird in installing stock kernel images was one reason
I started rolling my own :-))

BTW Compiled-in modules do not show up in lsmod. Initrd ones may also not
appear--long time since I used one so do not remember.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:27 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 04:04:53PM -0300, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> 2008/4/26 Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791 dma=on
> Thanks for the reply, Chris, but it didn't work.
> Any other ideas?

give a look at a recent thread about passing parameters at boot to the
kernel or initrd modules:

Linkname: Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup