Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Daniel Ngu

Default External IP

Hi,

How do I find out what's the dynamic IP I get when connected
to my ISP? I'm not broadband BTW.

Thanks.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Steve Witt

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Daniel Ngu wrote:

Hi,

How do I find out what's the dynamic IP I get when connected
to my ISP? I'm not broadband BTW.

How do you connect? Is your computer connected directly to your ISP
connection? Assuming it is Linux box then:

/sbin/ifconfig

will show the IP addresses assigned to your network interfaces.

If you are connecting through a router of some sort (like the Linksys,
Netgear, etc) routers, then you'll have to connect to it and see what
address it got.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Andrew Reid

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 19:39, Daniel Ngu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I find out what's the dynamic IP I get when connected
> to my ISP? I'm not broadband BTW.

I use "www.whatsmyip.org", I have NAT at home, and the
"far side" of my DSL modem is a private class-A address
(10.0.something.something), so it's useful to have a utility
that cuts through the crap.

Of course, it does require that you have a working
web browser. If you (or I) were clever, we'd probably
do some tricky tracert thing.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Daniel Ngu

On 2008-04-23, Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 19:39, Daniel Ngu wrote:
>
> I use "www.whatsmyip.org",

Thanks, tried the URL and it worked. ifconfig on the other hand showed
my internal IP rather.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:40 -0400
Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 19:39, Daniel Ngu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I find out what's the dynamic IP I get when connected
> > to my ISP? I'm not broadband BTW.
>
> I use "www.whatsmyip.org", I have NAT at home, and the
> "far side" of my DSL modem is a private class-A address
> (10.0.something.something), so it's useful to have a utility
> that cuts through the crap.
>
> Of course, it does require that you have a working
> web browser. If you (or I) were clever, we'd probably
> do some tricky tracert thing.

ddclient can parse html to read your external IP address from your
router's status page. I don't know if there's a clean way to use that
functionality independently of ddclient itself.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 AM
"Rafael Fontenelle"

2008/4/23, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:40 -0400
Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 19:39, Daniel Ngu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > How do I find out what's the dynamic IP I get when connected
> > to my ISP? I'm not broadband BTW.
>
>** I use "www.whatsmyip.org",**I have NAT at home, and the

> "far side" of my DSL modem is a private class-A address
> (10.0.something.something), so it's useful to have a utility
> that cuts through the crap.
>
>** Of course, it does require that you have a working

> web browser.**If you (or I) were clever, we'd probably
> do some tricky tracert thing.

ddclient can parse html to read your external IP address from your
router's status page.**I don't know if there's a clean way to use that

functionality independently of ddclient itself.

> Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Celejar

I can see that you're running behind a router or something similar. If
you want to use a shell script to return the IP to the stdout, you
could probably use 'curl'.

1- If you don't have curl, you would have to install it:

*******
[sudo] apt-get install curl

2- Get one of these sites that return your external IP (You know no
site like this? just google "what is my IP", without quotes) and create
a shell command. See my example:

$ curl http://www.ip-adress.com/ | grep "My IP: "

Test it and then you put it in a shell script and you're done.

Cheers,

Rafael

Old 04-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Lee Glidewell

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 10:12:41 pm Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> I can see that you're running behind a router or something similar. If you
> want to use a shell script to return the IP to the stdout, you could
> probably use 'curl'.
I have this feeling that my last response to this thread never made it through
or something.

curl *definitely* works with shell scripts, and like I pointed out,
www.whatismyip.org (not .com) is specifically designed for tools such as
curl. Running that URL as the argument for curl will return only the current
machine's public IP address, with no extra formatting or HTML messiness.
Thus, it is the ideal way of getting this output cleanly. It can even be used
as input, e.g.:
nmap $(curl www.whatismyip.org)

Lee

Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM