Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default NC problem

Martin S wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian on an oldish Fujitsu Lifebook laptop.
Apparently the installation doesn't recognize the network connection
(no DHcP lease) while I know that it works at least with Windows (I
have another disk I swap with on assignments).

Anything I should try to get the install working?

Martin S

Do you mean the NIC is not seen while installing, or do you mean the NIC
is not working after you have the system installed?

If the latter, what is the NIC?

lspci -v

will give you the listing of all the hardware the kernel knows about.
If we know that, we can then find out what driver you may need. What is
the model of the laptop, someone else might have done the leg work all
ready. Google Fujitsu MODEL Linux.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Martin S

Martin S skrev:
I'm trying to install Debian on an oldish Fujitsu Lifebook laptop.
Apparently the installation doesn't recognize the network connection
(no DHcP lease) while I know that it works at least with Windows (I
have another disk I swap with on assignments).

Anything I should try to get the install working?

I tried changing the cabling, but I still get the same problem. My
thought was that it might be some small problem with the NIC port which
Windows handles but not Linux.

Martin S

Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Martin S wrote:

Damon L. Chesser skrev:

Martin S wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian on an oldish Fujitsu Lifebook laptop.
Apparently the installation doesn't recognize the network connection
(no DHcP lease) while I know that it works at least with Windows (I
have another disk I swap with on assignments).

Anything I should try to get the install working?

Martin S

Do you mean the NIC is not seen while installing, or do you mean the
NIC is not working after you have the system installed?

If the latter, what is the NIC?

lspci -v

will give you the listing of all the hardware the kernel knows
about. If we know that, we can then find out what driver you may
need. What is the model of the laptop, someone else might have done
the leg work all ready. Google Fujitsu MODEL Linux.
I ment that the laptop isn't getting a DHCP address (NIC not seen
during installation), this is when plugged in to the cable.

Martin S

So, do you install debian or not? what version of debian, stable,
testing, unstable? If you are trying a netinstall, try a newer version
of debian or try a live CD (ubuntu, knoppix for example), boot to it,
and then run lspci -v and tell us what kind of NIC you have. Have you
tried googleing your model laptop with "linux"? So far, you have not
told us enough to assist you.

HTH