-   -   emacspeak with erc on debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/74244-emacspeak-erc-debian.html)

lenny 04-22-2008 02:42 PM

emacspeak with erc on debian

I am trying to get emacspeak work together with erc. I want all
the incoming messages to be spoken out, but can't get it working.
Google shows me that this is a debian specific thing, but the
solutions I found for it did not work so far.

I am trying this on a Debian sid system, but do use lenny and etch
also.

Thanks for any help

Jude DaShiell 04-23-2008 04:37 AM

emacspeak with erc on debian

I'm surprised anyone is able to use emacs let alone emacspeak on anything
later than the sarge distribution of debian given my own experiences.
I'm happy for whoever can manage to do this though. Things to try.
First install ircII on your system and get out and connected to a known
irc address and make sure you can hear incoming messages. This is
important since you need a proved connection to point erc at with all
necessary and correct login credentials in place. Once done, I suggest
trying two alternate start up procedures for emacspeak. First is to run
emacspeak from the command line with whatever switches you normally feed
it. Then try to run erc and connect to the known good irc channel and see
if incoming messages get spoken. If not, try a second approach. At the
command line run emacs -nw which will turn off any use of xwindows or
attempt to use xwindows. Next mx-emacspeak and get that going. Next
mx-erc and get that going. Then go to the known good irc channel and see
what can be heard if anything in terms of incoming messages. In C,
there's a cprintf() function which when used screen readers don't get any
printing sent them. It's the printf() function in C that gets proper
screen writing done though. I don't know if lisp equivalents exist though
they may so this could be part of your problem too, the erc package was
built with the wrong screen writing commands.

lenny 04-23-2008 07:49 AM

emacspeak with erc on debian

Hi Jude,
or is it Hey Jude ;)
thanks for answering.

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I'm surprised anyone is able to use emacs let alone emacspeak on
> anything later than the sarge distribution of debian given my own
> experiences.

Mine weren't that bad, but I *did* have some problems too.

Emacspeak works fine here on sid and lenny, didn't try etch yet.

> Things to try. First install ircII on your system and get out and
> connected to a known irc address and make sure you can hear incoming
> messages. This is important since you need a proved connection to
> point erc at with all necessary and correct login credentials in
> place.

I can connect with erc using emacs or emacspeak. Messages are displayed
on the screen but not spoken. Emacspeak *does* speak other buffers, if
I press <up> I *can* hear last line. I can also hear my own messages typed
in. But when a message comes in, nothing is spoken. I want messages to be
spoken without my interaction.

> Once done, I suggest trying two alternate start up procedures
> for emacspeak. First is to run emacspeak from the command line with
> whatever switches you normally feed it. Then try to run erc and
> connect to the known good irc channel and see if incoming messages get
> spoken.

See above.

> If not, try a second approach. At the command line run emacs
> -nw which will turn off any use of xwindows or attempt to use
> xwindows. Next mx-emacspeak and get that going.

There is no Meta-x emacspeak, but i can M-x load-library emacspeak.
It does not give me sound output, though. I also tried M-x erc and
then M-x load-library emacspeak-erc, no sound either. (Not even in
other buffers).

> In C, there's a
> cprintf() function which when used screen readers don't get any
> printing sent them. It's the printf() function in C that gets proper
> screen writing done though. I don't know if lisp equivalents exist
> though they may so this could be part of your problem too, the erc
> package was built with the wrong screen writing commands.

So maybe I could try to change (quite a task to find out what to change
in which files!) and recompile.

Or maybe there's a hook in erc called whenever a new message drops in?

Still searching...
Robert Epprecht