Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Frank

Default Strange window problem

For the past week or so I noticed an empty window which pops up seemingly
at random on my screen. It looks like a terminal....but with no cursor
inside. The only way it can be closed is by using xkill. I use IceWm and
unless I kill it before logging out I can't log out!

I'd appreciate any tips on tracking this thing down.

Frank

---

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

> * From: Frank <debian@videotron.ca>
>For the past week or so I noticed an empty window which pops up

try htop or pstree or many other similar tools

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:57:08 +0200
> NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> > > * From: Frank <debian@videotron.ca>
> > >For the past week or so I noticed an empty window which pops up
> > try htop or pstree or many other similar tools
> As far as I can see neither show anything unususal,

If *really* you can identify all processes as shown by, say, htop in
tree mode run by root, and you are sure than none of them gives the
unusual window, then either your box has been hacked or you have found a
big bug (in htop or the kernel), or the process is really run by another
host and only connects to your X server (but then you should see the
connection with netstat, either directly as tcp connection, or as a tcp
ssh connection plus a unix socket). Also note that the xkill man page
suggests at the end xwininfo

So I would double ckeck. Closing all not indispensable processes might
help, as also using tree mode (the window should be in the tree of
processes after the Xserver process, and the parent processes might give
an idea of which process spawned the window process. Unless the window
has been orphaned)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Frank wrote:

For the past week or so I noticed an empty window which pops up seemingly
at random on my screen. It looks like a terminal....but with no cursor
inside. The only way it can be closed is by using xkill. I use IceWm and
unless I kill it before logging out I can't log out!

I'd appreciate any tips on tracking this thing down.

Frank

---

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

There is an xapp that you can run, then click on a screen (or x-app) and
it will tell you the source of the app. That is the good news, the bad
news is I can't remember what it is: perhaps xtrace?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Frank McCormick wrote:

Yup, that is the name. Checked, I have it, tried it, it works.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Frank McCormick

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:56:26 -0400
Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> > > As far as I can see neither show anything unususal,
> >
> > If *really* you can identify all processes as shown by, say, htop in
> > tree mode run by root, and you are sure than none of them gives the
> > unusual window, then either your box has been hacked or you have found
> > a big bug (in htop or the kernel), or the process is really run by
> > another host and only connects to your X server (but then you should
> > see the connection with netstat, either directly as tcp connection, or
> > as a tcp ssh connection plus a unix socket). Also note that the xkill
> > man page suggests at the end xwininfo
>
> I will have to wait now until I get the window back - I killed it and
> rebooted earlier. I'm not sure what creates it so I'll have to wait.

Got the weird window back tonight - it may have something to do with (I
think) my Sylpheed mail reader. At least that's what I was using when I
noticed it.

frank@debian:~$ xwininfo

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
would like information by clicking the
mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0xc00008 (has no name)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ first time I've seen this!!

Absolute upper-left X: 82
Absolute upper-left Y: 127
Relative upper-left X: 0
Relative upper-left Y: 0
Width: 185
Height: 175
Depth: 24
Visual Class: TrueColor
Border width: 0
Class: InputOutput
Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Backing Store State: NotUseful
Save Under State: no
Map State: IsViewable
Override Redirect State: no
Corners: +82+127 -1413+127 -1413-748 +82-748
-geometry 185x175+82+127

This is after I enlarged it - when it first appears its very small so I
guess it often goes unnoticed.

It's got me baffled...but that's not very hard!

BTW I am running Sid/Lenny

- --
Frank McCormick debian@videotron.ca

Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Frank McCormick

> > > As far as I can see neither show anything unususal,
> >
> > If *really* you can identify all processes as shown by, say, htop in
> > tree mode run by root, and you are sure than none of them gives the
> > unusual window, then either your box has been hacked or you have found
> > a big bug (in htop or the kernel), or the process is really run by
> > another host and only connects to your X server (but then you should
> > see the connection with netstat, either directly as tcp connection, or
> > as a tcp ssh connection plus a unix socket). Also note that the xkill
> > man page suggests at the end xwininfo
>
> I will have to wait now until I get the window back - I killed it and
> rebooted earlier. I'm not sure what creates it so I'll have to wait.

Got the weird window back tonight - it may have something to do with (I
think) my Sylpheed mail reader. At least that's what I was using when I
noticed it.

frank@debian:~$ xwininfo

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
would like information by clicking the
mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0xc00008 (has no name)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ first time I've seen this!!

Absolute upper-left X: 82
Absolute upper-left Y: 127
Relative upper-left X: 0
Relative upper-left Y: 0
Width: 185
Height: 175
Depth: 24
Visual Class: TrueColor
Border width: 0
Class: InputOutput
Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Backing Store State: NotUseful
Save Under State: no
Map State: IsViewable
Override Redirect State: no
Corners: +82+127 -1413+127 -1413-748 +82-748
-geometry 185x175+82+127

This is after I enlarged it - when it first appears its very small so I
guess it often goes unnoticed.

It's got me baffled...but that's not very hard!

BTW I am running Sid/Lenny

- -
- --

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how