Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default preseed.cfg surprise

For one thing the preseed.cfg file is so large (128k) in my case and has
lots of error messages in it I never encountered during installation.
Can the preseed.cfg file safely be cleaned up to reflect actual
installation choices made? The instructions I followed are in the debian
installation manual for i386 computers.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Joey Hess

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> For one thing the preseed.cfg file is so large (128k) in my case and has
> lots of error messages in it I never encountered during installation.
> Can the preseed.cfg file safely be cleaned up to reflect actual
> installation choices made? The instructions I followed are in the debian
> installation manual for i386 computers.

The installation manual contains (and links to) an example preseed.cfg
file that you can copy, modify, and use. This is often a better approach
than generating one with debconf-get-selections, since the example file
is more minimal, omitting things like error messages, and also includes some
helpful comments.

You can clean up the preseed.cfg you generated if you prefer. If you
delete the answer to a question that is asked during the install, the
install won't be fully noninteractive. Deleting parts of the file
shouldn't lead to any other problems.

--
see shy jo