Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default Is there a "quick" how-to or "getting started" for exim?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 02:42:02PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:04:00PM -0600, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> >>running etch in console (no X);
> >>
> >>I just want to take inbound Email & forward to exchange server only
> >>email w/ valid recipients.

> I think he's talking about a mail *hub*, where Exim receives incoming
> mail and then passes it on to Exchange.

Exchange to me is a verb. Never heard of it as a noun.

Doug.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 PM

On Nov 16, 4:40 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
<and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:04:00PM -0600, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> > I just want to take inbound Email & forward to exchange server only
> > email w/ valid recipients.
> I suspect this won't be much help Bob, but its worth a shot. There is
> a relatively well commented sample configuration file in the debian
> package. You can find it at
>
> /usr/share/doc/exim4/examples/example.conf.gz

> You'll likely need to configure just a handful of options to get what
> you need.
>
> hth at least a little.

ok; first off, let me explain a little better what I want to do:

basically i want exim to take all inbound email, and relay email to
valid recipients on my exhcange 5.5 server. all other email traffic/
relays/spam, should just be dropped/ignored. All outbound Email will
continue to be sent thru the exchange server. So all exim needs to do,
is filter & forward valid inbound Email...

I read Doug's reply, and I'm not 100% sure what a smarthost is, but
don't think this is that application...

Andrew,

that config example looks ALOT closer to a quick getting started
manual than ANYTHING else i've seen!
I'll have to dig into it a bit... I'm surprised none of my searches
revealed the contents of that file, or references to it...

TX to all for replies!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 PM

On Nov 16, 4:50 pm, David Brodbeck <bro...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:04:00PM -0600, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> >> running etch in console (no X);
>
> >> I just want to take inbound Email & forward to exchange server only
> >> email w/ valid recipients.
>
> >> isn't there a document that says how to do this in less than 400
> >> pages???
>
> > No.
>
> > It sounds like what you want is a "smarthost" setup. All mail will be
> > forwarded to one host.
>
> > Run dpkg-reconfigure to reconfigure exim4 and set it up for smarthost.
>
> I think he's talking about a mail *hub*, where Exim receives incoming
> mail and then passes it on to Exchange.
>
> It depends a little on what version of Exchange he's running. It's
> more complex with Exchange 5.5 and earlier, because they don't verify
> recipients during the SMTP transaction -- to ensure a user is valid
> you have to use LDAP. With later versions you can use recipient
> verification in a more conventional way.
>
> I haven't really done this since Exim 3 and Exchange 5.5, so I'm not
> sure I can be much help with the details. I seem to recall the Exim
> source distribution had some sample configuration files, one of which
> was a mail hub with Exchange as the destination. He might be best
> off asking on the Exim mailing list.

David;

appreciate your reply...
I have also posted on an exim newsgroup... but i wasn't sure how
active it is...

your description of a mail hub does sound like what I want...
I'll see if I can download the source dist of the exim pkg... & chk
into that.... that would be REALLY nice...

TX again;
Bob

Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 PM

On Nov 16, 5:00 pm, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 02:42:02PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> > I think he's talking about a mail *hub*, where Exim receives incoming
> > mail and then passes it on to Exchange.
>
> Exchange to me is a verb. Never heard of it as a noun.
>
> Doug.

LOL;

your talking to someone who'd see the world run on unix, rather than
microsux confuseware.
but you gotta deal w/ legacy.....
unfortuneately; compared to ANY version of unix, ALL versions of
windows are legacy :-)

why else can linux do in 700 Megs, what it takes m$ over 20Gigs to
do.....

Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:12:02PM -0800, bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 16, 4:40 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
> <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:04:00PM -0600, Bob Goldberg wrote:
> > > I just want to take inbound Email & forward to exchange server only
> > > email w/ valid recipients.
> > I suspect this won't be much help Bob, but its worth a shot. There is
> > a relatively well commented sample configuration file in the debian
> > package. You can find it at
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/exim4/examples/example.conf.gz

> > You'll likely need to configure just a handful of options to get what
> > you need.
> >

> ok; first off, let me explain a little better what I want to do:
>
> basically i want exim to take all inbound email, and relay email to
> valid recipients on my exhcange 5.5 server. all other email traffic/
> relays/spam, should just be dropped/ignored. All outbound Email will
> continue to be sent thru the exchange server. So all exim needs to do,
> is filter & forward valid inbound Email...

okay, this is helpful stuff. First off, search on
www.debian-administration.org for exim stuff. There are a number of
articles that will get you started with spamfiltering. That's really
pretty easy to set up and you can pipe it all straight to /dev/null
(called blackhole in exim configs). The part that is a little more
difficult, probably, is figuring out who the valid senders are. There
are a number of recipes out there for searching through text files for
valid recipients, or using ldap and other methods for determining who
a valid recipient is. I can't really answer that question. sorry.

> I read Doug's reply, and I'm not 100% sure what a smarthost is, but
> don't think this is that application...

nope. not a smarthost configuration. Smarthost is when exim acts just
like an smtp-speaking MUA (thunderbird, sylpheed, what have you) and
it simply routes all mail through a host called a smarthost, further
upstream and that smarthost is the one that actually routes the mail.

> that config example looks ALOT closer to a quick getting started
> manual than ANYTHING else i've seen!
> I'll have to dig into it a bit... I'm surprised none of my searches
> revealed the contents of that file, or references to it...

sounds to me like you need some ACL magic and then one router
configured that takes all valid mail and sends it on to the exchange
server.

When all is said and done, you'll probably be able to excise a lot of
that sample config out of the way.

good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:18:10PM -0800, bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 16, 5:00 pm, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> > > I think he's talking about a mail *hub*, where Exim receives incoming
> > > mail and then passes it on to Exchange.
> >
> > Exchange to me is a verb. Never heard of it as a noun.
>
> LOL;
>
> your talking to someone who'd see the world run on unix, rather than
> microsux confuseware.
> but you gotta deal w/ legacy.....
> unfortuneately; compared to ANY version of unix, ALL versions of
> windows are legacy :-)

I haven't used windows since 3.1 and only then because it came
pre-loaded on my IBM 486; I used it for some games but used OS/2 for
real work.

> why else can linux do in 700 Megs, what it takes m$ over 20Gigs to
> do.....

Heh, and BSD in 300 Megs or so; less on NetBSD if I want to get
creative.

Doug.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Owen Townend

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 19:24 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:18:10PM -0800, bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Exchange to me is a verb. Never heard of it as a noun.
> >
> > LOL;
> >
> > your talking to someone who'd see the world run on unix, rather than
> > microsux confuseware.
> > but you gotta deal w/ legacy.....
> > unfortuneately; compared to ANY version of unix, ALL versions of
> > windows are legacy :-)
>
> I haven't used windows since 3.1 and only then because it came
> pre-loaded on my IBM 486; I used it for some games but used OS/2 for
> real work.
>

> > why else can linux do in 700 Megs, what it takes m$ over 20Gigs to
> > do.....
>
> Heh, and BSD in 300 Megs or so; less on NetBSD if I want to get
> creative.
>
> Doug.

Hey,
Apologies for taking this even further off topic, but hah, getting
creative with NetBSD.
Here's a NetBSD Toaster/Webserver which can play music/audio (ah, so
you're a waffle man) for you while flashing LEDs and cooking your bread
to 255 different shades of burnt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/sets/738459/
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/11/1754253

All they need now is a kitchen sink